cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Bluetooth to laptop

Mav
Fixes: 515

Adding Bluetooth to laptop

I want to be able to use a cheap set of headphone on the laptop as I have a lot of audio/video clips to view/listen to as part of my course work and don't want to expense or hassle of another set of wireless headphones especially the problem of taking the base unit around with me.
I thinking of the following:
Adaptor
Heaphones
It seems I would also be able to use the headphones with both the smartphone and tablet as well.
Are there any better/cheaper solutions out there?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

10 REPLIES 10
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Adding Bluetooth to laptop

You don't explicitly say that headphones that connect to your device using a wire are not acceptable; should we take that as read?
Mav

I have wireless for TV and PC and hate being restricted by the wired I have for the Laptop.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

godsell4
Rising Star

So your laptop has a builtin Bluetooth module or are you buying an add-on plug in USB Bluetooth dongle? Either way, be wary that the standard Microsoft Windows Bluetooth stack does not support A2DP, A2DP is the profile needed to stream high quality audio to Bluetooth devices.
Try to make sure that your laptop is running the Broadcom Bluetooth Stack instead of the Windows Bluetooth Stack, the Broadcom stack in known as BTW, go to the Control Panel and find which drivers you have for your Bluetooth device to find out if it is the Microsoft or Broadcom stack.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Mav

No Bluetooth for laptop as yet hence my link to an adaptor in the OP which seems to use the CSR Chip 8510A06.
I will do a bit more searching on this. Thanks for the help so far.

godsell4
Rising Star

That USB adaptor comes with the BlueSoliel software which, works but try and find some screen shots if you can, the UI is unusual. The BTW software is more intuitive.
--
3Mb FTTC
Mav

A bit more searching and found a Belkin F8T065bf which seems to use a Broadcom chipset.
Can I assume that if it works with one pair of headphones it's liable to work with any? I have also seen these which one reviewer said works well with the above adapter.

godsell4
Rising Star

Those headphones will no doubt work, but I do not expect them to be comfortable to wear for long periods of time, go for a device from a quality brand, Philips, Plantronics, etc. There is no point in paying for the Beats logo which I assume you realise.
--
3Mb FTTC
Mav

Having recently paid around 50 squid for a pair of wireless headphones to replace a damaged pair I'm reluctant to spend too much. As I will only be wearing them for short periods at a time rather than the ones I have on now which I frequently wear for much longer periods I think the cheaper, less comfortable ones, will suffice.
I will have another browse before making a final choice, though.
Thanks for all the input.
Having giving some serious thought and the fact that I may wear them at other times perhaps a quality make and a bit more expense may make sense so I am now considering these pair of Philips SHB7000 headphones. Good battery life, helps cancel outside noise and good reviews.

Mav

Headphones arrived a couple of days ago and work well with the tablet.
Bluetooth adaptor arrived this morning. Plugged it into the laptop and installed the software but it wasn't particularly intuitive. Anyway, digging around, I found how to connect the headphones and they work well with the laptop, too.
Thanks for all the help in getting the right adaptor Smiley

godsell4
Rising Star

You should be also be able to use Bluetooth to tether to your phone if you are out of Wifi range somewhere. I do this when on the train.
--
3Mb FTTC