cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adblocker issue

GeekPeter
Dabbler

Adblocker issue

ive tried 3 different computers, a tablet, a phone, and every one of them give me rubbish about having an adblocker, I only have an adblocker on my main pc, the rest have absolutely nothing yet still get informed to disable a non existent adblocker..

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Changed thread title to reflect issue after split to own thread.

10 REPLIES 10
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Phone Line fault

What are you trying to do?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Adblocker issue

Moderator's note:

Split to it's own thread in Tech Help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Convin_Illusion
Dabbler

Hi
More details might make this easier to diagnose, [like what are you trying to access, and with what?] but a couple of thoughts.
The most likely thing that might be causing this [absent any other information] is that several phone/tablet makers have started adding built/in adblocking capabilities [which is funny given what some of them do for a living] and it might be that while you haven't added an 'adblocker' the web browser in your phone/tablet is doing a bit of adblocking by default all on its own without you realising. Possibly looking into the phone/browser privacy/security settings might fix this?

Otherwise, if you connect through a VPN, or ISP that offers adblocking that could also be causing the same effect.

I say ISP because your phone might be connecting through people other than plusnet depending on location and who your contract is with.

Convincing Illusion

If seeing is beleiving... Then what happens when what you're seing is an Illusion?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I have a similar problem on my home PC (i.e. some sites that dislike ad-blockers tell me I have one even if I turn of the one that I do have).  I think this is because my security software (I have used Kaspersky since long before it came under suspicion) is also perceived as an ad-blocker.     

Convin_Illusion
Dabbler

@ReedRichards Also non-specifically adblocking scriptblocking will also block script based ads and might register as an adblocker while not actually being one, and that's another thing that might be getting backed into phones and tablets.
Also possibly "it" [whatever it is] 'might' mistake flash blocking for adblocking?Huh

More generally, a thing people forget is having ads [and things] blocked in their hosts file and/or firewall which doesn't turn off with the adblocker... Probably not what's happening with the phone and tablet.

More info would really help. Smiley

If seeing is beleiving... Then what happens when what you're seing is an Illusion?
GeekPeter
Dabbler

There are several other sites that complain about adblockers and on my pc that actually has an adblocker i can just state "disabled on this site" or just utterly disable the whole thing and those sites will work, ive tried the plusnet chat page with a vanilla google chrome, microsuck explorer, firefox, tried chromium on linux, dolphin browser on android, safari on an ipad3, some $random un-named browser on an android tablet, my plusnet fiber is dead atm so im tethered through my TMobile phone, the plusnet chat is the only thing so far that keeps insisting i have an adblocker.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

The "adblocker" notice on PlusNet  "Live Chat".... , generally requires you to enable  two things..

Google Adsense

and

Live Person

If you can find those on your phone somehow, and enable them... hopefully "Live Chat" will work ..

( I am no expert on these things... just know that  those two items that stop "live chat" from working )

Convin_Illusion
Dabbler

Also if I remember correctly, Third Party Cookies. [which are often disabled by default nowadays]

Which incidentally for any plusnet people around is why I do not and will not ever use your onlie chat service and instead will always call if I have an issue.

Over my dead body do I disable my adblockers.
Adsense is disabled in the hosts file, firewall, adblockers, Noscript... and third party cookies are blocked in the browser.
And I am not changing any let alone all of that just to chat to you online.
If you want to reduce demand on your phone lines, make an in house chat service that doesn't use third party... well anything.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I allow adverts on web sites I approve of, provided that they aren't too obtrusive.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."