cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaware 2007

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Adaware 2007

Have just upgraded a pc at home from Win98 to Win 2000. All works well, but then I downloaded the free version of Adaware 2007 and installed it. Everything else still works okay, but Adaware complains about "TTimer".
It wont let me tell Lavasoft about the problem, because it is the free version.
Is there anyone who could suggest why I'm having problems with Adaware. It works perfectly on my other pc which has Win XP on it.
Many thanks for any help
18 REPLIES 18
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Adaware 2007

Can`t be absolutely certain, but I think that TTIMER is a configuration of how often the Adaware program runs automatically.  Check out the settings or options and disable it.  Also disable run on start up, as this might also slow down the start up menu.....  Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I tried the web address Jim suggested, but I still ran up against the barrier that as I have the Free version of Adaware 2007, I cannot tell Lavasoft about the problem.
As for the MSconfig file, I did a search on Windows 2000, but couldn't find it, so I copied it from an XP machine. It wasn't in Windows/System, and although I pasted it into WinNT/System32, it didn't solve the problem (not even after reboot). Could it be that it should be somewhere lower in the WinNT/System32 directory?
Anyway thanks for the suggestions. If there are any others, I'd be pleased to hear about them.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The link I gave was to the support forums - you can ask the question there and someone may know the answer
It's not just for the paid version - this is the sticky http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=15529
This Forum is NOT the same as the Customer Support Center. If you are a registered, paid user of one of our products and you need technical assistance and official support from Lavasoft directly, please use the Official Support Center here:
http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/index.php
What this Forum is:-
    * A place for Lavasoft Users / potential users to get user-to-user support on Lavasoft Products and ask questions from both other Lavasoft users. Lavasoft staff may also from time to time visit the forums and attempt to address questions as time may permit.
    * A meeting place for people with a mutual interest in computer security, especially anti-spyware
    * A place of learning for anything computer / internet security related
What this forum is not:-
    * A place to make personal attacks against others
    * A board for posting abusive and offensive language
We encourage relevant and stimulating discussion, and are happy to answer any question regarding Lavasoft products and/or computer / internet security in general. However, personal attacks, abusive language or other posts of a similar nature will not be tolerated. If you wish to do this, please take it somewhere else. You will not be welcome here.

samuria
Grafter

you can get for free startup cpl from
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
which is better than msconfig and runs on win2k. There seems to be a lot of problems with ttimer on adawares site it suggest a complete removal of adaware and then try again. ttimer can be used by Delphi programs startupcpl may show it as running in which case stop it and try again 
Not applicable

On the same topic, Ad-Aware Personal SE has stopped updating on my friend's computer (Millennium).
I assumed that it is because there is a new version (2007 7.0.2.6) so I have downloaded this onto a USB stick but have not yet installed it as the specifications are for 2000, XP and Vista.
Please could anyone tell me if I might run into problems with trying to use it on ME?
I have also downloaded the free version of AVGAS although
it too gives the specifications of 2000, XP and Vista.
Not applicable

For anyone who is interested - have discovered that the new Ad-Aware is not compatible with 98 or ME. Same with the free version of AVGAS. Spybot seems to be OK with these OSs so will have to go with that.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

this is also very highly regarded and runs on Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP, Vista or Windows 2003
http://www.superantispyware.com/
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: poppy
On the same topic, Ad-Aware Personal SE has stopped updating on my friend's computer (Millennium).
I assumed that it is because there is a new version (2007 7.0.2.6) so I have downloaded this onto a USB stick but have not yet installed it as the specifications are for 2000, XP and Vista.
Please could anyone tell me if I might run into problems with trying to use it on ME?
I have also downloaded the free version of AVGAS although
it too gives the specifications of 2000, XP and Vista.

Lavasoft has stopped updating Personal SE.
I downloaded the newer version at the weekend and once I ran it I couldn't delete the problems.  I looked on the Lavasoft forums and it appears to be a known problem and there is a fix available.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

thankyou OldJim. I tried again, and discovered I had misunderstood, that I should have registered as a user. This I have now done, and posted my question.
Thanks to everyone that has tried to help
Not applicable

Thank you to Old Jim for the link to SuperAntispyware.
Last time I tried Spybot I had a bit of difficulty getting to grips with it and so uninstalled.  Is this one easy to use?  If so, I think that I will go with it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Very easy - the only thing is that if you want to only use it on demand I think you have to tell it every time or it changes to autoload.
Not sure if this is the case as I haven't loaded it since going to Vista. It actually never finds anything on my machine as I use Firefox and block all cookies I don't want. If a site insists on having a cookie then I set it as a session cookie which means it gets deleted when I close Firefox
Not applicable

Oldjim - thank you for the link to Superantispyware. Installed it on my friend's ME computer today and it is working fine and as you said, easy to use. 
The_10th
Grafter

Have you tried the googlepack where you can download a full working free version of Spyware Doctor?