cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AdAware - is it still worth using?

Mav
Fixes: 515

AdAware - is it still worth using?

I've been using AdAware for years without much hassle but the last few updates seem to have caused some issues: updates appear to take longer, it regularly hangs on startup, updates no longer appear to unistall previous versions so you can end up with more than one instance, stability seems to have gone downhill somwhat and, overall, the PC often seems slower.
These issues haven't just appeared on one PC they have appeared on two PCs and one laptop. Strangley, my own PC hasn't been affected as much. Then again, I haven't installed the latest update or run an AdAware scan for some time (all other scans get run weekly).
I have uninstalled AdAware on two machines which seem to be all the better for it.
Has anyone else experienced similar issues?
I use AVG/Avast (not on the same machines, though), Malwarebytes, Spybot S & D, CCleaner and Windows Defender so is a program like AdAware really necessary? If so, is there another more reliable program out there?
Edit: Changed topic title

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: AdAware - is it still worth using?

Well since the current version of AdAware Free appears to be a full anti-everything-bad program with real time "protection", I guess your problem is related to having more than one on access scanning software installed.
Unfortunately security isn't really a program you can just install.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've not found a use for it at all in the last few years.
thejudge
Rising Star

I used to swear by it.
I eventually ended up swearing at it, but I can't remember the reasons now.
I just use Spybot S&D and Malwarbytes now, with no problems.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Quote from: ejs
Well since the current version of AdAware Free appears to be a full anti-everything-bad program with real time "protection",

From what I see the free version only offers Ad-Watch Live! Processes protection. Files, Registry and Network all all greyed-out. Unless they had to be activated at installation?
@thejudge
I find that the scans take an inordinately long time to complete. Not sure if that is becasue scanning is so thorough or the program is just slow. I use a profile scan with just Tracking Cookies and Executable files only unselected.
Edit 1: One thing I have often found is that after running a scan I seem to have to re-enter login details for many sites again. It doesn't happen after Malwarebytes, avg , CCleaner or Spybot.
Edit 2: Watching a scan at the moment and I notice that, unlike avg, it doesn't appear to scan the drives in successive order (C, D, E..) but more in some sort of, to me anyway, randon sequence.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still