cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation

elakenn628
Dabbler

Activation

Hi all, I am a 74 year old teenager and also a new member to plusnet and the forums.
My wife bought a new Toshiba laptop for me which had the basic Windows 7 installed and with it was another disk for windows 7 Professional.
after a while she wanted the profesional installed.I went to the control pannel and went to windows anytime upgrade and all I had to do was enter the key and everything was OK untill today when I keep being asked for activation and or enter the key again which I hace done, Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong please?
Ken
15 REPLIES 15
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Activation

Hi Ken,
Are you using the key on the sticker on the laptop, or the key that came with the Windows disc? If these are different (I'm assuming they are, because of the difference in versions) you need to make sure you're using the key for the version that's installed. If you've gone through the upgrade I'm guessing that should be the key for the Professional version, which should have come with the disc.
Hope that helps,
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its probably on the tag that held down the flap on the disc envelope
elakenn628
Dabbler

What I did was went to conrol panel and then to Any Time Upgrade and as the Windows Pro disk did not have a key I used the key that came with the the laptop..
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/windows-anytime-upgrade
You appear to need an Anytime Upgrade Key which you have to pay for
Was there a PIN with it - if so this will give you the code https://windows.getmicrosoftkey.com/
You may need to call Toshiba - how long did the Pro version run before it started complaining
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: elakenn628
as the Windows Pro disk did not have a key I used the key that came with the the laptop..

Which is why it doesn't work, it's not a key for Pro.
As OldJim pointed out you probably need to buy it unless it should have been included in the original purchase.
(Or has Microsoft re-registered itself as a charity recently?  Grin )
elakenn628
Dabbler

I will have to buy a key.
I thought I could use the Pro. disk as it says on it 'Includes Windows Anytime upgrade' on it.
HPsauce
Pro

Why not just downgrade? What is there in Pro that you need?
elakenn628
Dabbler

Thats sounds a better idea, is it a simple job?
HPsauce
Pro

No idea, might just be a system restore back to before the upgrade?
Looking quickly online though it's probably a full reinstall.  Cry
hulls
Grafter

The D drive probably has a system restore partition that will put the lap top into the set up you had when it was bought..  Try a system restore, or clicking the correct function key at start up, but make sure you've backed up anything you need before doing it, as all your data will be erased.
John
HPsauce
Pro

Be careful with terminology..... Huh
elakenn628
Dabbler

I will have a go after Icome back from shopping this afternoon. Will let you know
elakenn628
Dabbler

I did a full re-format and re-install with the disk that came with the Laptop. and I have checked the system setup and it is 32bit,Can I install  an upgrade with a 32bit professional disk. would that stop the activation problem, if it does not I will leave it as it was when bought.
Is there any way to delete as bought and then insatall professional? 
elakenn628
Dabbler

In the end I backed up all my filles and put the 64 bit Professional dik in and did a boot from the install disk -> Custom install -> Format C Drive -> install and everything works OK.
Thank to everyone for you help
Ken