cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acronis True Image FREE

samuria
Grafter

Acronis True Image FREE

We often recommend Acronis True Image on these forums as its a great product and will often get you out of trouble and also give great backups.
I thought everyone would like to know its FREE the full version 8 on PC Pro March 2008 edition. I get it via a sub but it should be in the shops any day now.
Well worth getting a great mag and Acronis for a small price and before any comments No I dont get commision
12 REPLIES 12
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Acronis True Image FREE

The only issue with Acronis is when writing your backups / images to a USB drive. When validating the archive it can often fail with a validation error. In fact the archive is OK if you copy it to a hard disk and run the validation again so there appears to be an issue with reading from USB which Acronis can't seen to fix.
This appears to be a general problem with many acronis versions.
Other than that I also recommend its use.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Only thing to note - it is a very old version - now up to 11
If all you need is a backup and disk clone capability the free Seagate Discwizard uses a later version of Acronis (much faster disk clone than v8 when running from a bootable CD) Only thing is I think you must have at least one Seagate/Maxtor drive
God
Grafter

Brilliant product I have 10 and 11. I love the 'Try & Decide' option in V11. This allows you to install programs, visit the dark side, and then restore your disk immediately if you have a problem.
dgdclynx
Grafter

Peter. You have worried me. For four years I have been doing a weekly backup of my hard disk to an external hard disk using Acronis via USB. The files have always seemed to be created correctly. Now from what you say if I try to reinstall after losing my hard disk it may not work. Perhaps if I copied the files from the EHD to a CDR I would get away with it but now I am worried that my backup might fail.
Cheers. Douglas.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Have you enabled the verify of the backup after writing. It is this that often fails on my USB backups.
However copying the backup to disk and running the verify again always works so its a problem with USB reading in some way during the verify. Whether the same will happen during an actual recovery I don't know as I have not had the need to restore my PC yet.
The USB problem has been around since at least v8 so I don't know why it has not been fixed yet. See the Acronis forums for info and reports on this.
I believe it only affects USB hard drives. Writing to internal or USB CD/DVD does not suffer this problem as far as I know.
holdtight
Grafter

There`s also a known problem when trying to recover using the acronis V8 boot CD as it wont detect sata drives as i found out when disaster did strike
This was fixed with V10 onwards however but if you continue to use ide drives its fine
I had been using the free version 8 very happily for a long time up until then as it was given away free on a cover CD some two or so years ago iirc or it may have been acronis deluxe i started with first but i was forced to upgrade due to the sata issue which im not at all unhappy about as its a great bit of software which ill continue to use
dgdclynx
Grafter

Peter. I have never seen a 'verification' request. I am puzzled. I just get message saying that process has been carried out succesfully.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

you have to instruct it to verify.
It's one of the options on the left of the welcome screen
dgdclynx
Grafter

Thanks Jim. I see it. I will experiment with it tomorrow.
dgdclynx
Grafter

I ran the validation on my Jan 11th archive and it went ok. At least I didnt seem to get any problem reports. I then created my Jan 18th archive and it validated too. These were carried out as separate operations. So I cant see any problems.
My USB is 1.0, I think. And I have plenty spare capacity on my EHD. I wonder if I am looking in the correct place for reports seeing the problems that Peter seems to be experiencing.
Not applicable

Quote from: Bill_M
There`s also a known problem when trying to recover using the acronis V8 boot CD as it wont detect sata drives as i found out when disaster did strike

Some BIOS' have an option to have the SATA emulate IDE - never had to try it, but might 'save the day' for somebody in the future if they remember to check.
dgdclynx
Grafter

Quote from: dgdclynx
I ran the validation on my Jan 11th archive and it went ok. At least I didnt seem to get any problem reports. I then created my Jan 18th archive and it validated too. These were carried out as separate operations. So I cant see any problems.
My USB is 1.0, I think. And I have plenty spare capacity on my EHD. I wonder if I am looking in the correct place for reports seeing the problems that Peter seems to be experiencing.

I just went back to examine the detailed report and all it said was that the operation was succesful.