cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acess Denied

gordo1952
Grafter

Acess Denied

Yesterday and so far today, when trying to access ebay and sony psn  I get access denied in browser,  A lot of other sites like facebook and twitter seem to be OK . can anyone shed any light on what could be causing this.  I did a trial of booster called fast.   But uninstalled it.  Could that have changed something ?

23 REPLIES 23
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Acess Denied

Do you have any other devices connected to the internet that is having the same issue?

If its confined to the one device you installed this odd software, I can't be 100% sure as I can't find this speed booster application - it sounds like malware to me - but it's possible that it may have modified your host file to reroute your internet for specific websites? This is a pure guess as it has happened to me in the past. You need to take a look at your hosts file and make sure that it doesn't have anything in there that is blocking access to certain urls.

1. Press the Windows key.
2. Type Notepad in the search field.
3. In the search results, right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
4. From Notepad, open the following file: c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.
5. Make the necessary changes to the file.
6. Click File > Save to save your changes.

If that didn't work and you are certain that this is isolated on that one device, if its windows you may be able to restore the operating system to a time before you installed that app via the windows backup.

Hope this helps!

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I would also recomend that you get Malware Bytes and run a scan to remove any unwanted malware.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

gordo1952
Grafter

Hi thanks guys

all browers chrome, FFox IE

1st thing I did was run malwarebytes  found 3 files deleted

2nd did system restore to 10 days ago

3rd nothing in the hosts file

except  "#    
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.    
#    
# This file contains the mappi Each    
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should    
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.    
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one    
# space.    
#    
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual    
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.    
#    
# For example:    
#    
# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.    

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The hosts file always contains that information and the hashes are just a way to leave a comment in the code without it executing (as its just a comment) so no need to worry about that - looks okay to me.
Do you have the same issue with other devices? Say... a smart phone, tablet, laptop, games console, second computer that can connect to the router? If the problem persists on those devices, it could be an issue with your connection.

gordo1952
Grafter

Yes just tried my android phone and cannot access e-bay on that .  and on my android tablet . both access denied

would rouer/modem factory reset help sort it ?

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah, so this could be a problem with your connection and not something isolated on a single device so we can assume that this is an issue with the router/connection.

You could check your router settings before doing a factory reset... log in to the router via your browser and check the settings. It's possible that your username and password might not be right? If you know your plusnet username and password, just reenter them into the router settings to be sure.

@Gandalf, are you able to see if you can pinpoint the problem from our side at all? I don't have access to anything like that myself so I am making guesses in the hope that we can figure this one out between us. Might need your expertise if you can lend a hand Smiley

gordo1952
Grafter

From what I can everything looks fine in the router settings,  if it wasn't would I be able to connect to here or some other sites ?  two little  things  I noticed there is no listing for other devices connected to the router  and  the ip address looks odd to me never noticed it before  <ip address removed>

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That's your public facing IP address - I have removed it from here as you don't want that to be out in public Smiley Hopefully one of our support staff will be able to take a look in the system for you as I am now out of ideas from what I would personally do if it were me (I'm not support staff so I can't access anything in the system specifically for your connection).

gordo1952
Grafter

whoops  forgot that about displaying ip. thanks.    I really appreciate your help and advice . I'll open a ticket with support and see what they come up with ..

once again many thanks .

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries, I saw your post and thought I would be able to help but it looks like it could be a bit more complicated than my normal troubleshooting as a fellow customer. Hopefully someone else will be able to chip in their thoughts on what could be going on while you raise a support request. Hope you manage to get it working again soon! Very strange that some sites are working and others not.. I'd be interested to know whats going on with that as it would frustrate me to no end!

gordo1952
Grafter

Frustrating isn't the word.  especially when trying to set the PSN up on the PS3 so kids can play and watch youtube on it. I forgot that the PS3 throws up an error to so clearly points to connection.     the ebay denied is OK stops us spending what we don't have lolol

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Just had a thought... have you checked the firewall settings on your router/account? https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall

gordo1952
Grafter

don't use that one . have one on router and one on PC  which are ok ..  seemed over kill to have anymore ...appreciate the thought

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I was going to suggest turning the firewall off temporarily to see if that makes a difference Wink