Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing windows shares

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Accessing windows shares

Hi.  Really didnt want to ask for help, as I like to try and suss stuff out myself, but I am absolutely stumped here. I have 2 windows machines, and a linux lappy, running Ubuntu 8.04, and fully updated. Got it running the internet etc with no hassles, set up with a static IP, for my network, and everything working perfectly. Decided to try and access the other systems on my network. Shared the Public folder, and this was seen on my windows boxes with no issues, and can move files to and from Windows to Ubuntu OK. I cannot however see the windows shared folders at all. I go to places, network, and drill down to the Windows PC name, and then there is just a blank folder,  no asking for passwords or anything, and no windows shares seen, although Unbuntu appears to be detecting the workgroup and the windows networked PC ok. Tried connecting to the server, using the connect to sever option, but I get to a box asking for a password, but this box just keeps reappearing whatever I put in. Tried the SUDO MOUNT command, but nothing happens. I am not totally stumped. Windows can see Ubuntu, but ubuntu can see the wondows machines, but not the shared folders. All the windows PCs are running SP Pro SP3, and are all password protected, and sharing etc works absolutely fine with the 2 windows systems. I do have Zonealarm on the systems, but the network adapters are in the trusted zone. I feel this is ultimately going to be an authentication issue, but unsure where to go next......  Both the Ubuntu, and windows system I am trying are wired connections.
7 REPLIES 7
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Accessing windows shares

I trust Ubuntu is running SAMBA?
Consider installing Swat to make it easier to administer - it's a bit of a pig.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

As far as I am aware, the Samba server and client is installed. Whats SWAT, and is it installed via synapec package mananger
VileReynard
Hero

Yes - it allows you to configure your setup via a web interface to http://localhost::931/
Warning -
SWAT will rewrite the smb.conf file. It will rearrange the entries and
delete all comments, include= and copy= options. If you use a carefully
crafted smb.conf, you should probably avoid using SWAT.

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

I just go to Places/Connnect to Server and I can select what sort of share I want to connect to but I have to know the machine and share name
Never had much luck with browsing the network
VileReynard
Hero

Someone has to set-up the server, including access rights etc

paulh
Rising Star

Puppy Linux has a beautiful thing called Pnethood which autoscans the LAN for shares and presents them to you on a plate.
Whether it is portable to a 'buntu I have no idea though
rmerewood
Dabbler

If you're happy playing on the command line then [tt]smbclient[/tt] can be quite helpful. It's a bit more verbose than the GUI if you're trying to diagnose problems as well, for example [tt]smbclient -L machinename[/tt] will tell you what shares are available; try it with and without a username. Check [tt]man smblcient[/tt] or google around for other examples.