cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing my Plusnet email away from home

Crimson
Grafter

Accessing my Plusnet email away from home

When I try to access my email when away from (Webmail) I log in via Plusnet but it is different from my email at home.
I don't see any of the emails I had on my home computer either in the in box, sent items  or drafts etc.
Is there any way of having full access to my Plusnet email away from home on another computer?
I can't understand Webmail as it seems to be so limited and does not allow me the access I would like.
Thank you
Christina Crichton
8 REPLIES 8
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Accessing my Plusnet email away from home

You are probably running a 'mail client' on your home PC, this downloads mail from the server and, normally, also deletes it from the server (this is a good idea to stop the mail server from 'filling up' with mail.
The Webmail access should show you any new mail since your client last downloaded.
Depending on your client software, you should have an option either to leave a copy of messages on the server or delete after download.
What email software do you run normally at home?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Crimson
Grafter

Thank you, walker  I use Windows Mail.  Although I've had my computer for a while I'm still not very good with it!  I appreciate your reply and I'm eager to understand more. Embarrassed
Regards
Christine
w23
Pro

Not too sure on windows mail (Windows 7?).
In Microsoft Outlook I need to select :
tools -->  E-Mail Acconts
Then 'view or change existing acconts' --> Next
Select relavant account and click 'change'.
Then I click the 'More settings' button and select the 'advanced' tab.
In this tab I have the option 'Leave a copy of the message on the server'.
With this option yo will see received email even after you have downloaded them to Windows mail.  I do not know if the options are the same in Windows mail bt they should be similar (I hope) - if not someone else will ndoubtedly jump in and help here.
You will not see any mail sent from your home PC using Windows mail in the Webmail and you will need to delete old messages manually (there is probably a limit on your mailbox size in webmail).
The other option would be remote access to your home PC while away, software such as PC Anywhere provide this functionality but I do not use this type of thing so you'd need to ask if someone else can advise on this option.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

A far better solution would be to change Windows mail to use IMAP instead of POP3 (assuming it supports it). That leaves all emails on the server and keeps the emails synced between the server and your PC, so if you delete an email using webmail, the next time you use Windows mail it will do the delete on your PC. Also email you send using webmail will appear in the sent items folder in Windows mail and vice versa.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The options have been covered by the previous posters, basically you can use POP3 but set the option to leave messages on the server, or use IMAP which will leave them on the server by default.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
w23
Pro

Quote from: jelv
A far better solution would be to change Windows mail to use IMAP instead of POP3 (assuming it supports it).

That sounds exactly what you're looking for, I found this link regarding setting IMAP option in Windows Mail:
http://www.fusemail.com/support/getting-started/windows-mail/imap-setup
Call me 'w23'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you do swap to IMAP the incoming mail server needs to be imap.plus.net (outgoing stays as relay.plus.net).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Crimson
Grafter

Thank you everyone.  I now understand how Webmail works.
Christina Smiley