cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing NAS box

Denzil
Grafter

Accessing NAS box

I bought a cheapie NAS enclosure from CCLOnline, and fitted an appropriate hard drive. Using Ubuntu 8.10, I find I can't connect to it at first. I go to Places - Network, click on "Windows Network" and get a message saying "Failed to retrieve share list from server".
If I plug the enclosure into a USB port, it is recognised straight away, I can read and write to it, no problem. If I then plug it back in to the network instead, I can browse straight to it, no problem.
So it works, but only if it is connected via USB first.
I don't know much about Linux networking, so is this a Samba setup issue, or is the enclosure faulty? XP won't let me access it at all - keeps saying it is not accessible, so one up for Linux there!
7 REPLIES 7
artificer
Grafter

Re: Accessing NAS box

sounds like linux has recognised it as a usb drive, not a nas drive.  is there not some software you have to install to windows to get it to recognise it?
Denzil
Grafter

Further to that, I have found that if I try mapping the drive in Windows and typing the path in manually it asks me for a username and password. The one for the web interface doesn't work, and there is no other username set up, so I don't know what to put in there. Windows doesn't need any software, supposedly - it is all TCP/IP after all.
Linux does recognise it as a NAS drive, but only after connecting it with USB, then disconnecting and plugging into the network.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Does the NAS have a dual ethernet / USB access - I got a cheap one off ebay which allows access via ip address.
It supports SAMBA & NFS networking + telnet, ftp and a web interface (for setup).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Denzil
Grafter

Yes, sounds the same as the one you bought - <a href="http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=12288&category_id=855&manufacturer_id=0&tid=hd-usb2eth">this</a> is it.
I have it currently set to a fixed IP address, and can access the web interface fine.
VileReynard
Hero

Mine is different - it's an inferior product from China!
The one I got allowed you to put an ext2 filesystem on it via USB (although it wasn't advertised as such!)
SAMBA continues to work - but because I use it for backups, I can't get my head round how to backup my sole Windows box...
ext2 is better if you want to write zillions of little files.
My box allows the web user to create extra users in the web/SAMBA part of the setup.
I've added a device called NAS to my hosts file (static IP) and added the following entry to my /etc/fstab file:-
NAS:/mnt/C/		/media/NAS		nfs           rw,hard,intr,users,noauto   0       0

[I've created a directory of NAS in my /media directory]
That way I can just read/write to sub-directories of /media/NAS for my NFS networking.
I'm afraid I gave up on SAMBA a long time ago because it's so sluggish over wireless connections.
It's also difficult to setup - although have you tried a web interface package of "SWAT" - although make a copy of your SAMBA .conf first!
As far as I can tell, my so-called NAS consists of a card with some connectors on it and a DSP running a seriously cut down Linux.
The disk doesn't appear to be used for storage by the system - it arrived as FAT32 but I reformatted it Cheesy
This is a high risk option!

Ben_Brown
Grafter

More than likely it will be running some sort of embedded linux on some internal non-volatile memory. I'd guess most NAS type devices work like this, especially as some can even be bought without the disks in.
VileReynard
Hero

I think mine was just a SATA disk plugged into a bit of hardware.
Doesn't even have a fan.
Extract from first page or so:-  Grin Grin Grin
CHAPTER 1. Installation Guide
      First time use NAS product, please do the basic installation according to this
chapter. To the users who are familiar with the basic installation, please refer to
the correlatived chapters.
    1.1 NAS’ IP address
If there is DHCP SERVICE existed in the LAN, the NAS will get the IP address
automatically from DHCP SERVICE in the start-up; If there is no DHCP
SERVICE exist in the LAN, please complete the IP address with 192.168.0.240.
1.2 entering the configuration page via browser
Enter “http://NAS” into the address field in the browser, then you entering the
NAS configuration page. The default user is “admin”, the password is “admin”.
3.FTP
  This group of configuration is used in anonymous and its sharing list, new FTP
user and its sharing list, check the configurated FTP user’s information.
4.SAMBA
    This group of configuration is used in SAMBA configuration mode, amend
or delete SAMBA user, set file sharing list, check all the sharing users’
information list.
5.NFS
    This group of configuration is used in setting the sharing list and sharing
mode, check NFS’ sharing list infromation.
6. TOOLS
      This group of configuration includes the usual tools, including: configurate
the system time, upgrade firemare, restore factory settings, restart NAS, set NAS
WEB admin user and password, check system’s important log information, set
dynamic DNS.

I'm off to configurate the system time...  Cheesy Cheesy