Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Denied when saving under W7

Mav
Fixes: 515

Access Denied when saving under W7

Just installed W7 64bit.
Now when I attempt to save (on drive D) a NotePad file having made a few changes I get an 'Access Denied' message although I can delete/move it, etc.
A Google search gives conficting info regarding UAC but I was wondering if anyone else here has experienced this and resolved it?
Thanks

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Access Denied when saving under W7

By a notepad file I assume you mean a .txt file
I can't reproduce the problem also on W7 64 bit - are you logged in as an administrator or user
Would it be correct to assume that this is a virgin install or is it an upgrade
Mav

There's only one (Administrator) account.
Virgin install and, yes, TXT file.
I have UAC set to the first option - 'Don't notify me when I make changes...'.
It's not just TXT files it is also happening with other file types on different drives.
If I try on the System (boot drive) the problem does not appear.
Another thing that may be worth mentioning is that I usually save just by pressing Alt-F-S but it brings up the Save as box first (but not when saving to the System drive C).
I have checked that the file and the whole folder it is contained in is not set to Read-only.
I haven't installed much yet but have installed AVG Free 9.0 (Resident Shield On/LinkScanner off), Ad-Aware Free 8.1.1, Malwarebytes and Spybot S & D.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Was the non-C drive created during the Win7 install or was the drive there from a previous Windows install -i.e. still contained old data not wiped by the Win7 install?
Mav

All non W7 drives were created/formatted/used under XP.
All drives use NTFS.

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Try running notepad as an administrator by finding the application in the menu, right clicking and selecting run as adminisrtaor. Then see if you can save the file.
Note even though WIn7 says your user is an administrator it's actually not! it is still running as a normal user - confusing I know.
If the above works then it is a file permissions problem in that the files on the XP created drive probably only have permissions for a full administrator to write - you will need to look up changing ownership for ways to correct this problem..
Mav

Hi Peter
You're right, opening NotePad as Administrator solved the issue.
I assume you mean changing ownership on each and every file created under XP  Shocked That may be thousands  Cry
Isn't there a simpler way to make the W7 Administrator account behave as in XP. I can't yet see anything obvious!

Mav

I have found that all seems well having turned off UAC completely.

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Another option is to create a new administrator account, which will have full admin rights.
Vip3r
Grafter

You can reset the ownership of an entire drive in one hit.
Under windows XP (not logged into Win7 at the mo)
In my computer:
Right click on the drive
select Properties
Go to the security tab
Click Advanced
Go to the Owner tab
Under "Change owner to" Select the account you are using.
Then tick the box marked "Replace ownership on Sub-containers and objects"
then click Apply (the ok if required)
Shouldn't be much different in Win7, if it is post back and I'll go check.
Cheers
Dave.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

That does not work under Vista so will most likely not work on Win7 because the default admin account is not an admin so the above wll not run with admin permissions. However creating a new admin account may allow you to do the above.
leeanthony
Grafter

I know what you mean because I always get this problem, the most often thing I do is when taking a screenshot, copy paste into paint and then save somewhere
80% of the time it will say denied, need to be admin blablabla.... All I ever do is click another directory, and then click back to where I was..... and it works fine. It really is strange  Roll_eyes Hopefully they fix it in a update soon, and I only have one account on my pc too so yeah.. its deffinately some weird bug id say