cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access BT Sport as a PlusNet customer or move to BT?

Summerlandtopca

Access BT Sport as a PlusNet customer or move to BT?

Hello there, Smiley
Please forgive me if this has been covered already as this is my first time on the forums. I have read through some of the general threads on this topic but would welcome advice as to our particular situation.....
We have been considering moving our broadband/phone service to BT in order to access BT Sport. (mostly for MotoGP but also the footy). We've been with PlusNet for a few years and were always happy with price and quality - until we moved house just over 12 months ago. There then followed a horrendous series of errors and problems apparently caused by the Home Movers team. We got some credit for some of the problems (if not all) but my point in mentioning this is because I am horrified at the thought that moving provider may open another can of worms. Things are ticking along OK at the moment, and BT’s reputation is appalling. Sad
Hence my interest when I stumbled across the info that existing PlusNet customers are now able to access BT Sport. I understand that the cost is £5.99/month (or £7.49 for HD) and that we would need a Sky dish, box and viewing card. People seem to be saying this kit can be picked up second hand on eBay etc. We've never had satellite telly so I am a bit baffled by the options. I am also confused as to the technical situation, were we to move to BT instead. We are about 1-2 miles from the exchange so our broadband speed is only about 2.8mbps. There’s no option for cable/fibre BB here at the moment. Would we still need to go the dish and box route anyway? I am sceptical as to whether BT Sport would work sufficiently well via internet, given our connection speeds. As I said, I'd prefer to stay with PlusNet if that's an option (and if the costs are competitive, which is a separate consideration).
One more thing! I just ordered a Humax PVR as we haven’t had a recorder for a couple of years since our last Humax broke down. It’s the HDR2000T (a Freeview one). Would this be a bit of a waste/duplication if we decide to get a Sky dish and box – do they also record or only if you have a Sky account?
Any explanations/input welcome, as to
1) The likely cost of box/dish etc
2) Whether the technicalities would be any different if we went to BT (I realise I should check with them too but it would be good to get an unbiased view from any knowledgeable peeps on here)
3) Whether to bother with a stand alone PVR
Undecided
Sorry to be so ignorant of these matters and thanks for any help!
Cheers!