cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abuse from Virgin customer - Grrr

Denzil
Grafter

Abuse from Virgin customer - Grrr

I run a website for my archery club which has a contact form, and have had two abusive messages in the last few days. Looks like the work of some dimwit teenagers with nothing better to do. The form records the IP address of the sender, and I have traced it to being a Virgin Media customer. I have reported it to them, so hopefully they will take some action.
I'll get the little offenders Smiley
5 REPLIES 5
Santiago
Grafter

Re: Abuse from Virgin customer - Grrr

When you catch them, tie them to some trees, put some apples on their heads and invite your archer friends over for a practice session.
Denzil
Grafter

Just got another one, this time aimed squarely at a specific person. This, for reasons I won't go into, tells me who it is. I have blocked the IP address with .htaccess - ah the power Smiley
scootie
Grafter

let us know if VM report back to you in the future
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Denzil
Just got another one, this time aimed squarely at a specific person. This, for reasons I won't go into, tells me who it is. I have blocked the IP address with .htaccess - ah the power Smiley

Thats easily overcome though!
I'd use a small php script and write a cookie to their hard drive with a number you can tie up to any posts made. That way you can then check on submission of future posts to see if there is a cookie - if it matches previous abusive posts your script can discard it. Of course you can still check IPs too that way using php. Another method would be to look for common words used and spelling mistakes. Search submissions for those and if it contains them then drop the post (exit the script) without saving or emailing it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Denzil
Grafter

I haven't seen any more since, so either VM has closed his account, or he doesn't know enough to change his IP address, or he has started taking his medication again. I don't speak PHP, so I don't think I could justify spending any time working out how to do it, to be honest. I have too many other things to do! Smiley Thanks, anyway.