cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG8 Free Resident Shield

penneck
Aspiring Pro

AVG8 Free Resident Shield

For the last few years I have been downloading part of the 1871 census onto a computer database for FreeCen. Part of their process is a file called WinCC.exe. All went well until I moved from AVG7.5 to AVG8. It has something called Resident Shield. If I have Resident Shield switched on in AVG8, it complains about WinCC.exe, and then wipes it from my PC. Luckily I had a backup copy of it, but Resident Shield not only complains about that copy of WinCC.exe, but wipes that one too.
Fortunately, I had yet another backup copy, but before I accessed it, I turned Resident Shield off. I was then able to copy WinCC.exe to where I needed it, and was able to use it.
There seems to be something in Resident Shield that can make exceptions. I assumed that this meant directories that wouldn't be interferred with by Resident Shield, but it seems to me to have worked the opposite way, and still wipes WinCC.exe.
(1) Is there any way I can have Resident Shield active without it wiping WinCC.exe?
(2) Is there a way I can send a message to the people that do AVG8 informing them of this problem so they can stop WinCC.exe being intererred with?
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: AVG8 Free Resident Shield

There is an AVG users forum on the net,  unfortunately I cannot remember the url.... but you may find the answer on there, if no-one here can help you...
Wink Roll_eyes
Not applicable

http://freeforum.avg.com/
Don't forget to put every bit of detail down including OS and other security software - it will save you time because  the mods get a bit shirty and tell you off if you don't do this.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thasnks guys.