cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG :(

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AVG :(

Fair enough, I suspect we have all been victims of management in our working lives; I know I have, but dumping such a sensitive and demanding job like that on someone without real life knowledge beggars belief!
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Could be worse, I got dropped into being a customer support tech for a software company without any proper training, so my call stats always looked terrible because I was waiting to speak to collegues about how to fix things, I hate software, I'm a hardware guy, cos at least with that you can see the problem, usually... Grin
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

At a company I worked at the management gave the company welder an office, a server and network to look after because he read computer magazines at lunch time.
Guess who that was Lips_are_sealed
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

yeah management is always fun.... as I said I wasn't a geek who knew all the stuff off by heart but unlike most of my colleagues I knew which bit of the manual to open for the relevant problem, and to be honest I was probably the best guy for the job being computer literate, able to pull the machines apart and rebuild them and I did know the main commands I needed off by heart, although I did once eject all logged in pers from the server and lock everyone out for 2 hours whilst I went for a drive, I created a script to auto logout everyone at certain times of the day and lock them all out whilst the backups were running (instead of a backup taking 14 hours it would run in 25 minutes with nobody logged in) but in general I disliked the "ohh he's always busy lets give him more stuff to be in charge of" mentality.
strange thing I only ever had to explain what I was doing once, the boss's eyes glazed over in under 30 seconds and he never questioned me about anything again because we went from having at least 4 outages a day to just 2 (and they were programmed) and since everything ran faster after i had been in charge for 4 days I think only 2 people ever made complaints, strangely one of those was the boss when he realised I was taking a week off and he was back in charge of the server ......he must have rung me 20 times in the first day and he refused to let me have time off unless he was also taking time off, I was so glad when I got posted to a different unit and someone else got the job, of course they sent me on the admin course the day I arrived at the new place and I was already able to do everything they were trying to teach us ......and yeah I was the admin for that place as well /
still I got to re-write half the TP's and the newer better versions got broadcast to all and sundry  and some geek said my code was nasty, so he redid portions of it and found out only the nasty version actually worked /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Anonymous
Not applicable

Back in the late 90s I was  one of the Senior Systems Analyst for a well known Petrochemical Company in Paris, and I remember being asked to have a look at some web code. When I replied that HTML wasn’t really in my remit I got the following reply. “How hard can it be, its only typing!” To say I was astounded would be an understatement.
nanotm
Pro

yeah I tried to dabble at a couple of different formats for various things but I figured out me and code just don't go that well together back when I was at college and I wrote out some 20,000 lines of code only to discover I'd used the wrong brackets for the compiler program, I still passed the robotics module on my engineering course but it wasn't something I bothered trying to do again once the module was over /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
maranello
Pro

Just to get things back on topic.... Roll_eyes
If using the paid version of AVG, will the same conditions apply with regard to collecting and selling on of browsing data?
Also, will an AVG scan flag up AVG free as spyware?  Wink
My other car isn't a Ferrari
shylok
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I'd be more concerned about the ‘Karma Police’ operation reported on RT News
‘Karma Police’: Illegal GCHQ operation to track ‘every visible user on the internet’
https://www.rt.com/uk/316594-gchq-every-user-snowden/
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

"Russia Today" news? The country that is presently working its way back to the west-hating USSR? Might want to take that story with a pinch of salt... Grin
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: maranello
If using the paid version of AVG, will the same conditions apply with regard to collecting and selling on of browsing data?

The free version is just the paid version with a few features disabled.  So I think it is highly likely that the same conditions apply.