Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG :(

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

AVG :(

Looks like AVG antivirus now collects your    private details  "the collection and sale of personal information relating to browsing history, searches, location and meta-data".  Angry Angry
http://hexus.net/tech/news/software/86579-avg-privacy-policy-update-allows-sell-browsing-history/
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
24 REPLIES 24
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: AVG :(

I have went from AVG back to Avast a few weeks ago. Smiley
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I went from AVG to AVAST a few minutes ago ! ....
Thanks for the heads up.... although it MAY be too late.... I did tell them in no uncertain terms, why I was dumping AVG in the "uninstall feedback" section... 
They have lost my trust... and will never EVER regain it....  I do hope thousands of others send similar feedback....
( not that it will make any difference to me... but it could hurt their ratings .... )  ( and serve them right, too )....
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Went from AVG to Avast a few years ago, cos AVG is bloated over-bearing rubbish now... Grin
Steve
Seasoned Pro

It's one way to crucify the free loaders Smiley
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Viruses, malware and spyware are free, so the tools to remove them should be too... Grin
Of course, the way to avoid most of them is to switch away from windows, to an OS that's free, like Linux Mint... Cool
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Having a Paid AV is Not 100% guarantee that you will not get a infection !
some free AV are as good as paid for , The biggest defense against infection is Common Sense !
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
shutter
Community Veteran

Neither is using Linux...  Roll_eyes
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Hence why I said:
Quote from: twocvbloke
the way to avoid most of them

Linux based viruses, malware and spyware is becoming an issue, but it's still not as prevalent as with traditional windows "products"...  Grin
artificer
Grafter

"linux based viruses" Huh  no such animal.  you're thinking android and that means the new microsoft, google.  linux itself is immune to viruses as they cannot propogate in the filesystem.
like all users of any operating system, another route in is through a browser and we all tend to use them.  this is where the attack is likely to come from and even in a linux system it can cause some issues, though nothing like to the extent that windows is prey to.
shutter
Community Veteran

Oooh!... I`m really scared now.... 
Quick... bucket of water....SPLASH...!  no more laptop.... microsoft phone... android tablet.... cash machine... petrol pump ..........
Gee Whizz .... You Linux geeks. ....  Roll_eyes
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: artificer
"linux based viruses" Huh  no such animal.

I have a feeling you're the type to stand in front of an elephant and claim they do not exist either... Grin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware
Cool
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

.nix viri have been around longer than windows viri because its easier to code them, they just have less prevalence because far fewer people use .nix than anything else, well apart from server farms where they tend not to either only use .nix systems or mix and match .nix with windows servers, either way it was apache that had the gaping security holes that went unpatched for several years despite common exploit kits being used against them ...

personally I hated being the admin for an network it system based on .nix, I didn't find it any simpler when it moved to being a virtual network running as a virtual machine on dozens of windows boxes, but that was more because not being a code geek I had to keep looking up the code required to perform even the simplest operation, and out of choice its one operating system I would not go back to, I even gave mint a spin but it similarly required CLI and after less than 30 minutes went in the virtual bin as well /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m not trying to pick a fight but I find your comment incredible. If you were a system administrator as implied by your last paragraph below and in your own words weren’t a ‘code geek’ who the **** gave you the job?
As a system admin you should be able use tools like dd, ps, more, less, sed, awk, grep, shell scripting and a whole host of others in your sleep before taking on the role of a sys admin. Unix can be an unforgiving OS and one mistake and you can do untold damage.
So can I assume that who ever took the decision to move from a free OS to a paid OS was the same person that gave you your sys admin job? I’d be interested in hearing the rational behind that one.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Probably, being pinged for the job wasn't something I was exactly happy about, not because it was overly difficult but it was yet another thing I was chucked at and suddenly responsible for, iirc the rational behind that choice was being permanently busy then I was perfect for the job.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you