cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG versus Avast

Not applicable

AVG versus Avast

I have used AVG for a very long time with no problems at all (even v8).
Many people on this and other forums seem to prefer Avast so I have installed it on one of our computers and I have now got to grips with it, have it configured and it seems fine.
However, I have to confess that I don't know the fine (performance) details of each one and which is actually the safest or best. The only things that I am aware of is that Avast has rootkit protection (AFAIK) but AVG8 has spyware protection.
Could someone explain please so that I can understand a bit better?
27 REPLIES 27
Loombucket
Grafter

Re: AVG versus Avast

Rootkit and spyware protection are two different things, but both AVG 8 (the paid-for version) and Avast (free) have it.  AVG 8 (free) is not worth it at all.
Speaking as an AVG reseller you'd expect me to prefer AVG, but in fact Avast is proving to be much better in terms of protection level, is less obtrusive and much less of a resource hog.
Save your money, go for Avast Free Home Edition - I've not found a better one.
Not applicable

Thank you for the advice Loombucket - glad to have another opinion. Most of the stuff that I have read on the Internet supports Avast over AVG.
Although subjective, it did seem that Avast was less resource-hungry than AVG so this concurs with your findings.
Having already got spyware protection on the computer, the rootkit part of Avast is probably of more use to me so I think that I will go ahead and install it on my own computer.
jazz
Grafter

I've used Avast Free Home edition now for about 18mths andd been very pleased with it.  It is updated frequently (at least once a day) and has solved potential virus probs for me on a couple of occasions for I'm extremely grateful!  Smiley
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Loombucket, can you explain what rootkit is?
Thank you.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it a very low level part of the computer, well outside of the normal operating parts, it does the contol parts when you boot up, naughty people like Sony with there DVD's put special programs there that the normal person cant see or get at Kiss
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks Pierre.  I was discussing the Sony problem only the other day.  Were they not told to stop doing it?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I believe a court order was involved
jmd
Grafter

Where do you get AVAST from?
artmo
Aspiring Champion

This should get you a download:
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
Let us know what you think of it.
Not applicable

jmdlp - it is also available from www.filehippo.com and www.download.com.
Installation is slightly different from AVG because you have to register to receive the registration number via e-mail. You just copy and paste it into the box and that's it.
I found Avast to be a bit confusing at first but am more comfortable with it now that I have installed it on 3 machines.
The e-mail scanning is automatic and no set up is required. However, it doesn't automatically text certify clean mail unless you make a slight adjustment in the settings.
One other thing is that the help files don't appear to be in the programme interface but are accessed via Start/All Programmes/Avast/Help Files.
As artmo says, it would be interesting to know what you think of it.
Mav
Fixes: 515

I was very happy with AVG 7 but 8 just seems a nighhtmare now.
The latest problem is it just seems to get stuck when coming across the file 'YServer.txt'. Clciking Cancel has no response and the only way to stop the scan is via the Task Manager. Deleting that file and restarting the scan is OK but then 'YServer.txt' get's recreated when Yahoo Messenger is run and the problem recurs.
I think I may give Avast another go. I did have it on a machine some time agao.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Prod_Man
Grafter

Hello all,
I've tried alot of Anti Virus Software.
None of them on their own catch everything.
Avast is pretty good on the whole,
I've advised it many times because I've found it particularly effective.
Avast also has a Packet Inspector,
if you're paranoid about Secuirty this has to be one of the best things I've seen yet.
It protects against known exploits, on ports Opened by Common Windows Services.
The kinds of things which wouldn't be thrown up by a Virus Scan,
because it's an Exploit in Existing Software.
Draw back of that is, it does make things slower.
I never have any Anti-Virus/Firewall running 24/7, there isn't really a need.
The thing I do like with Avast is that it will install a Contect Menu for Explorer,
so you can select files to be scanned as you wish.
I never was impressed by AVG what with some of its false positive identifications,
it used to annoying some of my friends who used it and were die-hard fans.
I use Security Task Manager and PSTools collection a lot now.
The tools give you a far better insight as to what Modules within Applications are running,
and what operations are actually going on - which can help tracking anythign which isn't detected by Virus Scanners.
Hope that helps...
Jim,
Not applicable

Useful and interesting advice Jim - thank you.
Loombucket
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
Loombucket, can you explain what rootkit is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit
Wikipedia explains it better than I.  Wink