Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG todays update

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

AVG todays update

Is there something wrong with todays AVG AV update. On all three computers I have here, it seems to be stuck at the opening page, which remains resolutely blank?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
18 REPLIES 18
HPsauce
Pro

Re: AVG todays update

Which edition is that?
Just looked at AVG Free on one of my PC's and it says it's up to date and has Virus Database version 269.21.8/1337 released 20/03/2008
petlew
Pro

It's the free edition. And yes, my AVG also says it's up to date, however all 3 PC's this morning from boot, as they often do, start immediately with the AVG update download window. but it hasn't gone any further than the opening screen, no file size etc. Maybe it's only that there is no update to download (unusually) if so why the blank opening window. I wasn't aware that my PC's were set to open it whether there was a download or not...all rather odd. Maybe I should look in the startup folder?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I had no problem with two laptops on XP Free, retried and get the nothing to update as well
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I updated this morning at 8a and had no problem.
Maybe an uninstall and reinstall is the answer.
petlew
Pro

Quote from: PJ
Have you recently made any changes to a software firewall

No!

scootie
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
Which edition is that?
Just looked at AVG Free on one of my PC's and it says it's up to date and has Virus Database version 269.21.8/1337 released 20/03/2008

werid mine is database version 269.21.7/1336 released 20/03/2008
does this mean i have a defrent version of avg
program version 7.5.519
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: scootie
Quote from: HPsauce
Which edition is that?

werid mine is database version 269.21.7/1336 released 20/03/2008
does this mean i have a defrent version of avg
program version 7.5.519

Does it depend which operating system you are using?  I am using XP and my version is 269.21.8/1337 released on 20/03/2008.
scootie
Grafter

well im runing vista home prem ive just updated my database and its showing the 269.21.8/1337 now must of updated yestreday just before new data base was relesed.
so no its not to do with the windows version your runing
jnwright
Grafter

There is a thread at dslreports where people have been having similar problems.  Keep an eye on it and see if any of their suggestions help.
petlew
Pro

Quote from: jnwright
There is a thread at

Ah ha!, so I'm not the only one then, thanks jnwright.
Found that once this window is showing, it is singularly difficult to close, it does not respond to X or right click/close, On the third of the 3 computers here, the best I could do was minimise it, until going to "task manager" and closed it there, task manager noted it as a "running programme"
Edit: anyone know why this happened, my comments follow the "quote" not inside the "quote" but the whole thing has appeared in the quote box, and underlined, which I didn't apply.
[Moderator's note by Peter (PJ): Fixed quote tags]

jmd
Grafter

I have free AVG which updates after 4pm - so it has just done so - states the update released 20/3/08.  However, shows as being updated completely.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

petlew,
If you edit your post you will see that your typing is before the close quote code
HPsauce
Pro

I've noticed that quite often the AVG automatic update process seems to "lock" against the daily scan.
Are your systems running an automatic full scan when they boot?
I find that killing the scan and update, then kicking off the update manually myself, usually sorts it out.
After all it's free!
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Agree with HPSauce.....  I killed the autoupdates after login, and update manually,and have no issues at all. Using most up to date version downloaded 18:00 today. DO you knownhow to kill the autoupdates.  I also had an issue at one time with no updates being installedm solved by going to Update settings, and Advanced, and deleting the temporary files.