cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG problem

deekay
Grafter

AVG problem

I have a problem with the free AVG Anti-virus program.
Been running versions up to 7.5 for years, without any trouble. Then, about 6 weeks ago and a couple of weeks after upgrading to version 8, it told me that it couldn't connect with the update server. I had done nothing that could possibly have caused this. For about a week, I tried several times a day (at all hours!), but still the same message. Then, one day, it updated. The next day, nothing. I checked my settings, but they seemed to be OK. So, in desparation, I completely removed AVG and reinstalled it. Updates worked!
It was OK for about three weeks, then it failed again, not being able to connect to the update server. It's now been like this for many days and I am concerned that the database is out of date.
I am thinking of replacing it with AVAST, but in an anti-virus magazine group test I have, it says that AVAST is the worst anti-virus program, only detecting 60% of the viruses.
Has anyone else had recent AVG problems, or any ideas, please? I have seen the postings for last August, but server overloads are supposed to be a thing of the past.
Failing that is AVAST useless as the magazine says it is?
Many thanks
Keith
10 REPLIES 10
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Re: AVG problem

yes I've had the same problem with auto updates but when I try it manually it seems to work OK.  When V8 came out this was one of numerous problems with it.  If you have a look on the AVG forums I think it may help you.
jackoab
Grafter

I too had all sorts of problems with AVG8 and switched to Avira and haven't looked back since, runs smoothly and much faster than AVG.
deekay
Grafter

artmo and jac2285.
Thank you both for your replies.
I've not been able to sort the AVG8 problem out, even trying to install the updates manually.
So, as soon as I have sent this,  I'm going to download Avira and try that.
Cheers
Keith 
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: deekay
I have a problem with the free AVG Anti-virus program....

There are numerous reports of problems with version 8.  I would strongly suggest you stick with 7.5.  This seems to work very smoothly and is still being regularly updated.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

But isn't 7.5 going to have its support stopped any time now?  I agree with your sentiments though, 7.5 was much better.
Not applicable

Not sure about the negative Avast report - I had the impression from reading other reports that it is very good.
Although I have used AVG for a long time I transferred to Avast several months ago (chiefly because of the rootkit protection) and it has been no trouble at all.
deekay
Grafter

Been running Avira for a day now and all seems to be well. From first impression, it appears to be a very good virus program.
Nick> Yes, I too found that AVG7.5 was a very good version and I had no problems at all with it.
artmo> I had updated AVG to version8, because, like you, I heard that they were stopping support of 7.5. Also, I assumed that version8 would be an improvement!
poppy> Pleased that Avast has worked well for you. I rather take magazine group tests with a pinch of salt. One magazine will say that product A is excellent and product B is poor, then another will say that product B is very good. That's why I asked if anyone was using Avast and how good (or bad) they found it.
Thanks again, all.
Cheers
Keith

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I developed a problem with AVG 8 where automatic updates stopped working. I could manually update the definitions file but the program stopped doing this automatically. I switched to Avast and then to Avira. I liked Avira (after I'd figured out how to disable the pop-up upgrade window each time is updated/scanned), but it started saying there was insufficient disk space each time it ran its daily scan. Alas, I moved back to Avast and that's what I'm using now. Seems to run pretty well after switching off the web scanning and instant messaging providers (they were taking up unnecessary resource).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Not applicable

Glad that this topic was raised as I had been wondering if I could turn off some of the providers in Avast - six were running on mine as I don't use Outlook. I don't use instant messaging either so following your advice Bob, have terminated that too. Presumably it will be safe to terminate web scanning also? I am not short of space or RAM and my computer runs very efficiently.
Agree about the reports - it is difficult to find the truth sometimes - the only thing is to give them a go and see for yourself.
deekay
Grafter

Bob> The 'Upgrade' pop-up is a nuisence. I'll have a look to see if I can find a way of disabling it. If I can't I will ask for your help!
poppy> There is a problem of 'giving the products a try yourself'. In the case of Avast, the group test said that it only detected 60% of the viruses. As a user, I don't know of any way to check how many viruses it is/should be detecting - until it's too late and I am infected Cry
Secondly, if the products being tested by the magazine are a group of £800 computers, on my pension it would be rather expensive to get several to try myself! This is meant as a light-hearted response, and I'm not being rude.
Cheers
Keith