Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG or AVAST

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

AVG or AVAST

This item has been discussed in an earlier post and I have been using AVG8 (free)  without problems however, over the last few days it will not allow me to update so I was thinking about changing to AVAST.
I guess several people have done this before so can you advise me what I need to do ? Do I need to uninstall AVG first? Are there any problems I need to be aware of when doing this?
Any additional comments would be helpful but please keep it simple as I am not too clued up on computers.
Thanks

We are born into history and history is born into us.
8 REPLIES 8
jazz
Grafter

Re: AVG or AVAST

I have used Avast for about 18months and had no problems with it.  You can download it free for home use from www.avast.com and click on the "free software" tab. This will take you to the page for the Home Edition free download.
As you say, you should not have two different antivirus progs running at once as they can cause conflict.  Keep your AVG running while you go to Avast.  When there click on the "Download" button and click the option to "Save" the prog rather than "Run" it.  You can then save it to "Desktop" which is one of the options automatically offered. Once the download is complete you can close your browser and you will find a new icon on the desktop (at top left of screen)  which is the Avast download.  Next Uninstall your AVG (sometimes bits get left behind when uninstalls are done - you may need to check AVG forums to see if there is an uninstall tool that will clear it completely from your system or use something like the free software at www.revouninstaller.com (another free download)
Once you have removed AVG click on your Avast download icon and it will begin the install wizard and install itself.  You will then get a new Avast icon on the desktop which you will want to keep.  The original icon - a shortcut to the installation program - is no longer needed and you can delete and send to the recycle bin.
It is all pretty well self driven so you should find it straightforward.  Once installed you have 30 days free after which you must "register" on the Avast site - it is free to do this and you merely confirm that it is for private home use only and give and email address. They then send you a "Registration Key" by email - a hexadecimal password which you copy and paste in to the Avast intro page when it asks for it.  The prgram is then all yours for free.  (You have to re-register in this way every 12 months but they will send you an email reminder when this is due)
Good luck with it all but come back for more info if you need it - there are quite a lot of Smiley Avast users on this forum.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

jazz,
Many thanks for your detailed reply....will download avast and use the revouninstaller as suggested.
Thanks for the offer of further help if needed.
randpwar
Grafter

If you wished to stick with AVG8 the link below gives details of how to easily solve the Update Manager problem.
delete your "sched.cfg" in wherever you have the \avg8\cfg\ directory (run a search to find sched.cfg usually in c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg8\Cfg) then tick automatic updates in the AVG config utility and update then reboot your comp.  The file "sched.cfg" re creates itself again and it fixed the Update Manager error for me.  Automatic daily updates continue as normal now.’
Here is the link to the tread:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,67563.16.html
Not applicable

Would just like to remind about disabling AVG before uninstalling i.e. right-click the icon in the notification area and select exist or quit (can't remember which). When thoroughly uninstalled it might be an idea to reboot before installing Avast.
techguy
Grafter

seconded
Always reboot after uninstalling anything (particularly something that loads a service) to make sure that RAM is completely clear of the program code.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

The uninstall program mentioned by jazz works a treat.......www.revouninstaller.com  ( it even found programs not shown in the standard list of installed programs in the control panel. ) Installed Avast after using it and everything works fine !
Thanks for all your other comments.
Not applicable

Thanks for letting us know gleneagles and glad that everything went well - nice to hear a success story.
jazz
Grafter

Glad to hear its all gone well - thanks for letting us know the outcome Smiley