Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG misbehaving

juliasdream
Grafter

AVG misbehaving

Is anyone familiar with AVG
I had AVG 8 free version on a laptop using XP
It had been connecting using dialup and made the necessary connection changes only to find that AVG wouldnt update
I tried changing the settings in AVG so it would no longer be trying to get updates through dialup but that didn't work
I then tried uninstalling it and re-installing
It appeared to work ok, all updates downloaded but now it says the update needs a restart to take effect
Each time I restart it comes up with the same message wanting to restart again.
Has anyone any ideas what I can do about it?
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: AVG misbehaving

This sort of behaviour is often caused by one of the configuration files being corrupted. Deleting the appropriate file so that AVG recreates it appears to fix the problem.
For the "persistent restart" problem the following solution is recommended here.
goto: C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8
rename: updatecomps.cfg to updatecomps.cfg.old
run avg updater
reboot
should fix!

Note 1: As long as you are comfortable with Recycle Bin procedures (in particular restoring a "deleted" file) you can "delete" the file  instead of renaming it.
Note 2: Please be aware that I have NOT tried this myself; please ensure any critical data is backed up before attempting it.
David
Not applicable

When this used to happen with 7.5 (on dialup) I used to just delete the temp files within the AVG interface and it always sorted it out. Not sure if this can be done now in AVG8 as I have changed to Avast so can't check.
reserved
Grafter

There have been a number of problems with AVG 8, especially over the last few days. A number of threads on this forum:http://freeforum.avg.com/list.php?12
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

I am another one who had been using AVG8 with no problems since it updated from 7.5 but like you and a number of others I was having problems in getting it to update. Posted a message on one of the other forums and was advised to use Avast which I have done after uninstalling AVG with an uninstaller (free) at www.revouninstaller.com as suggested by another user.
If you like AVG enough to start fiddling around with files you may wish to stick with it but I just want a program that works and allows me to get on with other things.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
scootie
Grafter

ive noticed the update sever is down a hell of alot lately.
i know its not just a problem my end because i was remote connected to my sister whos on O2 and was getting the update sever fail message at same time as me.
im vista and shes on xp and the message on xp was popping up every 30 secs and on vista just once.
might give avast ago
Heloman
Grafter

I always used to use AVG and for years was happy with it. But about three years ago they had a long period of up-date problems  and in exasperation I changed to Avast!  Never regretted it....
Pros:  Virus data-base updates are quicker and more reliable. And they picked up more in the "iffy" category.
Ante:  The user-interface is not as clear or instinctive as AVG, but with a little patience it is equally as versatile.
I hope that my opinion is not invalid just because I now need neither, having changed to Linux.