Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG is playing up

juliasdream
Grafter

AVG is playing up

I'm fixing up an old computer for my son. It's running on XP
I just tried to install the latest AVG 2011 free  because the version on it stopped working.
During install a message came up saying that it couldnt uninstall version 9 and to try and do so manually
I went into add/remove programs and tried to uninstall it from there but it wouldnt  have it.
The advice was to try reinstalling it and then deleting it afterwards
I have searched online for a version 9 install but just go round in circles as every link I follow takes me to the latest 2011.
It seems that AVG really dont want anyone downloading older versions so that leaves me stuck in a catch 22
has anyone any ideas of a way around this
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: AVG is playing up

Junk AVG and go for Avira or Microsoft Security Essentials
To remove AVG use this http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools
pierre_pierre
Grafter

or Avast - free also
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Or have both Avast ( free ) and Microsoft security essentials ( Also free to people with genuine copies of windows ) And yes both work In harmony together.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
pawhe955
Grafter

In case you still need to get it, you can find a copy of AVG 9 at the filehippo download site (clean site - I've used it for ages to get the latest full install exe's of loads of [generally free] apps....) - it offers a complete list of all old versions. AVG (32-bit) is at:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus_32/
Older versions are in the list to the right.....
I tend to use belt and braces - uninstall normally, then run any official "force" uninstall exe that might be available (especially for security apps) - "avg_remover.exe" I believe in this case, as mentioned by Oldjim.
Once you've downloaded/installed/repaired/uninstalled - then you will be clear to install whichever new AV you choose. Of course, along with others, I can't but offer my £0.02 worth...... I've switched from a Zonelarm/AVG combination, to using Comodo Internet Security Premium (which is, despite the name, free - and which is also available at Filehippo). It's a full Internet Suite - i.e. integrated Firewall, Anti-Virus and Host Intrusion Prevention System, although you can also download just the AV or just the FW.  It seems to have no more of a system footprint than any of the other well-known free AV's, but appears to have some excellent additional features...... but what you install after successfully removing AVG 9 is up to you....
juliasdream
Grafter

Quote from: pawhe955
In case you still need to get it, you can find a copy of AVG 9 at the filehippo download site (clean site - I've used it for ages to get the latest full install exe's of loads of [generally free] apps....) - it offers a complete list of all old versions. AVG (32-bit) is at:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus_32/
Older versions are in the list to the right.....
I tend to use belt and braces - uninstall normally, then run any official "force" uninstall exe that might be available (especially for security apps) - "avg_remover.exe" I believe in this case, as mentioned by Oldjim.
Once you've downloaded/installed/repaired/uninstalled - then you will be clear to install whichever new AV you choose. Of course, along with others, I can't but offer my £0.02 worth...... I've switched from a Zonelarm/AVG combination, to using Comodo Internet Security Premium (which is, despite the name, free - and which is also available at Filehippo). It's a full Internet Suite - i.e. integrated Firewall, Anti-Virus and Host Intrusion Prevention System, although you can also download just the AV or just the FW.  It seems to have no more of a system footprint than any of the other well-known free AV's, but appears to have some excellent additional features...... but what you install after successfully removing AVG 9 is up to you....

Hi
Yes I use filehippo a lot. When I tried to download AVG 9 it just linked me straight through to the latest version
Plroblem is now solved anyway
But thanks
juliasdream
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Junk AVG and go for Avira or Microsoft Security Essentials
To remove AVG use this http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools

Thanks for that
I hadnt realized that there was a removal tool for AVG. I thought that only came for more demanding programs such as Norton.
It worked a treat
Computer is now fine after removing over 400 trojans and malware with the help of Malwarebytes
Probably caught that lot during AVG's failure.  It may even have been what corrupted it in the first place