cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG free appears to be stopping access to websites

jmd
Grafter

AVG free appears to be stopping access to websites

Hi - a friend who does not use Plusnet {she is tied in to AOL as yet} installed free AVG at my suggestion.  Suddenly it has starting scanning computer at start up, and then blocking access to Internet Explorer.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is problem?
I have not had a problem so cannot understand what is happening.
5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: AVG free appears to be stopping access to websites

I have never had AVG scan on starting windows after installing it. I have also never seen it block IE either so something must have gone wrong with the install.
In what way does it stop IE from running?
Does she have any other anti-virus software running at the same time or a software firewall?
Was this downloaded direct fron grisoft or from somewhere else. If somewhere else I suggest you get it direct from the grisoft website.
I suggest it is un-installed then reinstalled and only choose the default install options.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

By default AVG free edition will scan on the first startup of the day. Easily turned off though.
Never seen it mess up IE though.....
jmd
Grafter

She has uninstalled it and reinstalled with default options from Grisoft.  Apparently IE comes up but when she inputs website address it  shuts down!  She has no other antivirus software running.
The scan runs on start up and then starts again apparently.
It is very strange.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Open the Control Centre (double click on the icon in the bottom right corner tool tray) and on the top tool bar is a title "information" in the drop down menu, you can view FAQ on line.... and also you can get help online...
There is also a "Help Topics" in the left hand window....
Like others, I have not had any problems as described..... only time it "blocks"  is in email (Outlook Express) when it is scanning incoming email before presenting them to the "in box"....
Not applicable

The way to stop testing on startup is to go into test centre, scheduler, highlight test plan in basic mode, click Edit Schedule and take the tick out of periodically start scheduled test.
I have never known AVG to block internet access but the AVG free foum is a good way to start looking for solutions.  I have asked for help on a couple of occasions and it hasn't let me down.
I suppose the other thing might be to take it off completely and try another free programme such as Avast.