Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG Free restart requests

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

AVG Free restart requests

For the last week or so every time AVG does its daily update I get a request to restart the PC. Previously this happened once in a blue moon. I had a look on the AVG forum and am having trouble registering for that . The links in the information menu of the AVG free application are the route to registering but they are dead for me.
Before I do a fresh install. Does anyone have a similar problem or a solution please?
41 REPLIES 41
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: AVG Free restart requests

I can't recall my avg free (7.0 or 7.5) ever requesting a reboot after a scan and my PC has been on 24/7 for years.
Does the scan reveal any detected virii or any other indication as to why?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Hi, I have used AVG FREE for a number of years, but don`t remember this problem.... my updates recently have been more or less as soon as I switched on computer, and picked up the wireless connection, the update has run and when finished get the box that says so..... OK 30 seconds and counts down.... No re-start request initiated....
the_groundsman
Rising Star

No problems reported, nothing untoward. The AVG symbol in the tawk bar is greyed out until I do a restart. There is an option for AVG to automatically restart if required so maybe your scheduled update is done overnight and you just don't see it if you are in the land of nod?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Sorry, I misread your post - you are talking about the auto-update not the nightly scan.
The only time I've had to reboot was when I upgraded from 7.0 to 7.5. Other than that all updates have not needed a reboot as far as I can remember, and the updates have occured at various times during the day and night.
What OS are you using - I'm on XP SP2.
An uninstall / reinstall if worth a go.
the_groundsman
Rising Star

XP SP2 also.
kryten1st
Grafter

If you click on update manager and then properties under the If computer restart is required section you can select to complete at next computer restart.  Hopefully this will stop it bugging you to restart every time.
petlew
Pro

My AVG updates only occasionally request a restart. I've usually assumed it was to do with the content of the update. Sometimes there are 4 update files occasionally only 2, the restarts mostly occur when there are 4 files.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I can also confirm I was a victim recently of requiring a restart after a recent update (and yes I've had it in the past too but not often).
Unfortunately the recent update has crashed my AVG - It takes 10 mins for the icon to appear at startup, the updater keeps crashing and I cannot get the control centre to even appear on the screen. Windows security keeps reporting that it is turned off...
Gonna reinstall a newer version later...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

A) you cant get help from AVG for the free version
B) I have never had to restart on XP
c)I also have a win 98 se machine that has to be restarted on certain types of update
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I've had updates from AVG every day this week but never had to restart my PC. My PC is scanned each morning and I am concerned that it takes about 75 minutes to complete.  How long do others take?
At the same time Spybot is checking my PC and I think this is slowing things down.  The free version of Spybot only scans automatically at 8am each day. There's no way to alter this.
petlew
Pro

artmo, it's asking a lot to have two (or more) scans going on at the same time, they will almost certainly conflict at some time or other. I don't think 75 mins is excessively long, It will depend on how heavily filled your HDD(s) are, and what type of scan you ask for (boot or full)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
shutter
Community Veteran

I agree, it is expecting the computer to work twice as hard to do the two scans at the same time,    Cry  Cry similar to trying to go to work during the school run. ! ! Grin  Grin 
As pierre says,  AVG FREE version does not have support..... I have a 80gb HDD, which is 60% full, mostly photographs, and it takes about the same time as yours, 75mins, to do the complete scan with AVG 7.5 FREE 
I would recommend that you schedule the AVG to run at a different time to spybot, and see if that improves the time.....
shutter
Community Veteran

okrzynska .......... would suggest you uninstall the old version first, before you load up the new version of AVG, as it will have all the latest updates (probably) when you download it..... after downloading and installing, it may be an idea to "check for updates" just to make sure.... then do a full scan.... Wink Smiley Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

On my ancient Win 98 I use AVG to open up the line, Firefox is a but iffy at doing it, OK after AVG has done its download, I also check during the day and find that AVG has more than one udates a day.  Thats good, keeps one over the spammers.