cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG Free 8.5 problem

waldron
Grafter

AVG Free 8.5 problem

Has anyone else had problems after installing AVG Free 8.5?
Since I installed it earlier today, I have been unable to load IE7 - it just hangs.
Fortunately Firefox is still OK.
9 REPLIES 9
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: AVG Free 8.5 problem

I have still got heritage IE6 thats OK with 8.5
waldron
Grafter

I'm pleased to say I've found the solution. The problem lies with AVG Link Scanner add-on.
Run IE7 as Administrator, then disable AVG Safe Search in Manage Add-ons.
Restart IE7 and all appears to be OK.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its a good idea to day away with link scanner, uses far to many resources and also mucks up Google ratings
waldron
Grafter

I have Link Scanner disabled in AVG itself, but hadn't realised that there was an add-on in IE7.
It seems that the add-on causes the problem, whether or not Link Scanner is active.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've turned off Link Scanner and disabled the Add-on.
Interested
Grafter

A friend's partner installed AVG Free 8.0.238 Free Edition for me late January. Is it recommended I update to the new edition, if so how & is it free?
BTW AVG stopped working last night around 6pm and usually does this though every Friday as updates are rolled out. Have vey recently changed to Internet Explorer 8.
Denzil
Grafter

It is free - the clue is in the name  Wink You don't necessarily have to upgrade, as it will still download up to date virus definitions, but in general it is a good idea to keep the program up to date as well. I would do as others have said, and untick the Link Scanning when you install it. Choose the Custom Install option, so you can see what it is doing, and check for things like the Yahoo toolbar. It might want to install that as well, but its not necessary, so untick it unless you particularly want it.
You can download it from <a href="http://free.avg.com/">here</a>. Just make sure you read the page carefully and only click on the free version.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The free download tab is nearly hidden down below all the paid for versions, second page on the left bottom
Interested
Grafter

Cheers again!  Smiley
Installed. So far so good. Updated successfully.