cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG Error

artmo
Aspiring Champion

AVG Error

My automatic update on AVG failed today.  I tried a manual update and that failed too.  An error message tells me to try to connect to the website but I can't.  Is anyone else having a problem?
28 REPLIES 28
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: AVG Error

I'm managing to do manual updates but VERY slowly
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Just tried again and the whole of their site is very slow.  Sad
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Just found out a possible reason for the problem.  It appears they have released a new prog update 8.0.169 so the update servers are probably overloaded!  We'll have to see.
prichardson
Grafter

Yer, it looks like a large update this time around and is going very slowly.
It also appears either not all servers hold one of the needed update files, or some are overloaded on sessions are are managing to respond as such (and the program doesn't handle the response properly).
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I guess there might be a lot of downloads from the US at present so it may be an idea to try a little later.
Maybe AVG could have informed us of the new update and even done something to release it to users in stages if that's possible.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Just had a message to say automatic update failed.  Tried a manual one and got a failed message followed by a successful one Huh
I then did another manual update and it worked OK.  Seems they are still having problems at AVG. It was also a slow process to do the update.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just done it  Wink Cool
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Automatic virus database update failed for me yesterday. Manual update was successful, but slow. Thought it was my connection playing up so didn't bother trying to do the program update until this morning (6:30), which worked fine.
I don't know if the program update will make AVG work better, but since upgrading to version 8.0 I have seen a slow down of the startup/logon process, so I am now looking to change to Avast, following comments/recommendations in another thread. If it's any better I might even try persuading my mother-in-law to ditch Norton!
My other car isn't a Ferrari
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I'd be interested to know what you think of Avast as well when you've tried it.
Tigger
Rising Star

There appear to be several large updates.
Go to http://free.avg.com/ww.download-update
and "download all of the files listed there for version 8. Then run the "Update from directory" option. You will have to re-run the update once for each file (each run of the "Update from file" will only update one file at a time) If I remember there were four files as of today's date."
From one of the threads on AVG's Free Forum,
http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?12,145390,backpage=,sv=
There appears to be a massive problem with too many large downloads, servers appear to be well and truely overloaded
kdiment
Rising Star

It was a long struggle, but I eventually got a successful update. What seems to be happening now is that my PC is updating its AVG files every few minutes, even though it is set up to do so once per day. If everyone is updating every few minutes, then no wonder we're all having problems.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Have you got Link Scanner Activated?, not a good idea,  I got the latest version this morning and my last data update was at 10:10.
go to the user interface to de activate link scanner (right click on AVG in status bar)
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I've just checked and I have Link Scanner checked and it won't uncheck.  What does it do and what are the advantages/disadvantages of having it on?
paulh
Rising Star

it seems to follow each link you click on a web page and test for Bad Things.
It also seems to slow browsing to a crawl for many folk ...
how to uninstall link scanner:
http://free.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1241#faq_1241