Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG 9 Update - Deadline December 1st

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

AVG 9 Update - Deadline December 1st

Just had a "pop-up" informing (warning) me, that there is a deadline for updating to AVG9.... December 1st....
have seen these pop-ups before, and just cancelled them as I don`t intend updating just yet, but this had the Deadline date on it... trouble is I can`t remember if it was referring to the FREE edition or the Paid for.....
I can`t find anything on the avg forum, saying that AVG 8.5 Free will not be updated as usual after December 1st.
has anyone else any info? 
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: AVG 9 Update - Deadline December 1st

I'm in the same quandary, do I update or do I try something else? Avira (lots of complaints on their forums about problems updating)? Avast?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You could try the new Microsoft one
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

A friend of mine had Avast on their machine. There were having some problems (not due to Avast - I think), there was some registry corruption. Anyway they took Avast off and put AVG 8.5 on, and it found some problems. I'm not sure what to make of that as Avast seemed to have a really good reputation.
I'm running Avast and have no problems updating.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Oldjim
You could try the new Microsoft one

I have, seems OK and includes anti-spyware too.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I did do the update, you have to be careful as it tries to get you to do the paid for, initially via a 30 day trial.
PC Utilities Mag, issu 120 just out has done a comparison of Microsoft Security essential, one against is that it locks you into Auto Update of the operating system.
Alwils Avast . Again try and steer you to the paaid version, not good at removing items found.
AVG 9
Avira AntiVir
BitDefender Free
Comodo Iternet Security
FortiClient Security Suite
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Microsoft Security essential, one against is that it locks you into Auto Update of the operating system.

Well I just installed it on one of my systems where I manually manage updates and it DEFINITELY HAS NOT changed those settings.  Tongue
pierre_pierre
Grafter

strange magazine, mentions review in issue 121, but 120 out this week,  still it has this old one http://www.magnesiummedia.com/pcutilities/pcuguideto1.html  forgot to mention, I had trouble with the Web link scanner slowing my laptop badly, so disabled that, no other problem on XP
Not applicable

I thought that Avast was OK. Installed it a day or two ago on an XP computer that I reformatted and it picked up Win32 malware gen straight away.
I was rather surprised because it came with the Belarc Advisor download which had been scanned as OK, only showing when I opened the file.
After deletion I scanned again and it was lurking in SR so deleted again and then switched it off and restarted to make sure. Won't be bothering with Belarc again methinks.