Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG 8 Troubles

stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

AVG 8 Troubles

My AVG free 8 will not update now ,it says there is a file missing I have removed and replaced the whole thing and it still indicates an error , I think the new version slows down my start up, is there anything (free) better Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
johpal
Grafter

Re: AVG 8 Troubles

Yesterday, I had to manually prompt AVG8 to update. There was a program update to be installed in addition to the definitions update.
I'm none too happy with AVG8 either; it seems to do an awful lot behind the scenes, instead of telling you 'up front' what's going on.  Angry
chrisco
Grafter

Quote from: stathe
My AVG free 8 will not update now ,it says there is a file missing I have removed and replaced the whole thing and it still indicates an error , I think the new version slows down my start up, is there anything (free) better Thanks

Same here I also have 2 AVG icons in the system tray for some unknown reason & for the past 2 days the most recent scans are not showing in the scan history (methinks should have stayed with v7.5!) All in all I'm not at all keen.
I have had a look at the ratings for Avast (free) on www.CNET.com & it seems to pip AVG to the post by a small margin.
Anyone out there had experience of that programme?
Loombucket
Grafter

Switch to Avast if you're looking for a free one - their latest release includes spyware and rootkit protection, despite which it has a pretty small footprint, isn't resource-hungry and is pretty unobtrusive.
www.avast.com
(...and I say this as an AVG reseller)  Wink
artmo
Aspiring Champion

AVG has certainly had some issues with V8.  Have a look at this link to find out what people are saying:
http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?12,121086,page=1,backpage=,sv=
There was a program update to attempt to answer some of the issues raised.  I had to manually download this update but I'm back to getting automatic updates again. The 2 icons in the system tray is a part of the update.  The second icon appears whilst a scan is in progress.  A number of users asked AVG to reinstate this from V7.5. My second icon was there today during the scan.
I am finding this version extremely slow and a scan is taking up to 2 hours which is ridiculous. 
If you have a look at the link have a laugh at the attitude of the moderators.  I've never encountered such an unhelpful pair of individuals.
Plusnet mods can take a big bow for their attitude on these forums.
jnwright
Grafter

I saw the following message at the top of the Whirlpool forum.  It's been there for a couple of days.
The links are
Slashdot
The Register
Whirlpool Discussion
A possible future solution is given here on the Whirlpool site by AVG
jmd
Grafter

Well, I am still using 7.5 and still getting automatic updates without problem.................... Smiley
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: jmdlp
Well, I am still using 7.5 and still getting automatic updates without problem.................... Smiley

As they've had trouble with the launch of V8 AVG have extended the life of V7.5 and still providing updates.
Anyone who wants to go back to V7.5 can find it at:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/