cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVG 8.5 crashes vista on my new laptop

tgr
Grafter

AVG 8.5 crashes vista on my new laptop

when i run avg8.5 free edition on a new laptop i often just leave it to run while i am working on my  Mac.  On several occasions i have returned to find the laptop has crashed. and presume avg has caused this as it only seems to happen when i use it.  I have never used vista before as i had win xp on my old computer.  Does anyone know the answer to this problem.  The laptop is on a network with the mac.
3 REPLIES 3
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Re: AVG 8.5 crashes vista on my new laptop

I can't comment on Vista but I found that after version 7.5 AVG Free never really worked as well as it used to.
I switched to avast! Free Edition and found it fine. It gets as good reports as AVG Free.
www.avast.com/eng/home-registration.php
tgr
Grafter

Many thanks Nick I have downloaded avast and it appears at the moment to work and give no trouble
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

As a (very) long time user of AVG Free editions, I have had very few problems with it.... the only major one was when MS decided to change something in IE6 or 7, and it corrupted something else.... a "fix" was issued by AVG, and have had no problems since....
I have a 3 week old Dell Inspiron 1545, which is now running Vista Home Premium (as delivered) and AVG 8.5 Free edition .... updates normally, and daily scans start at 10:00 with no crashes.... most of the time I don`t even know I have AVG running in the background...
There is an "unofficial" forum of AVG users, you may try to find the answer there....