cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATM operators eye Linux as alternative to Windows XP

TORPC
Grafter

ATM operators eye Linux as alternative to Windows XP

[quote= http://linux.slashdot.org/story/14/03/21/1512220/linux-may-succeed-windows-xp-as-os-of-choice-for-atms]"Some financial services companies are looking to migrate their ATM fleets from Windows to Linux in a bid to have better control over hardware and software upgrade cycles. Pushing them in that direction apparently is Microsoft's decision to end support for Windows XP on April 8, said David Tente, executive director, USA, of the ATM Industry Association. 'There is some heartburn in the industry' over Microsoft's end-of-support decision, Tente said. ATM operators would like to be able to synchronize their hardware and software upgrade cycles. But that's hard to do with Microsoft dictating the software upgrade timetable. As a result, 'some are looking at the possibility of using a non-Microsoft operating system to synch up their hardware and software upgrades,' Tente said."
Is this a good or bad eyedear ?Huh
I think it would be a wise move if done correctly
11 REPLIES 11
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: ATM operators eye Linux as alternative to Windows XP

Given the number of ATM's and tills I have seen with a BSOD or "Windows has encountered a problem and has hung" it can only be a good thing.
The sheer number of things that run Linux in the background and run for years with no updates ...
TORPC
Grafter

With this news
do you think Linux will corner that market more ?Huh
Or will the bullies win as normal ?Huh
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I don't know the banks have shied away from Linux before now, but it is starting to become more tempting for them, given the unit costs and maintenance needed. even the gov is looking at open source and Linux as a way forward.
TORPC
Grafter

That said
I doubt the end user will see any saving(s) as a result
So the Gov is playing follow the BANK(s) leader (nuff said)  Lips_are_sealed
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I don't think many people are still running Red Hat Linux 7.2 "Enigma" (which was released about the same time as Windows XP, October 2001).
I'm not really sure what people expect to happen if everyone starts using Linux everywhere. Linux-related companies are only going to make money if people pay them, not just if everyone downloads Linux for free and demands other people make something work / make something better / help them with it for free.
Or perhaps ATM operators will use Linux the same way as Technicolor use Linux for their routers. As in Technicolor get to use Linux, but the Technicolor firmware almost entirely runs binary blobs of proprietary closed-source software anyway, and of course it's not possible to install your own custom firmware into a Technicolor router.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Embedded systems tend not to be run on a distro. They tend to be based on the 2.4 (or 2.6) Kernel release and not designed to be updated. I am familiar with the older gen of TV boxes, etc that was def. the case with them.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Of course not. But an ATM is going to need a pretty graphical touch screen interface, and be able to display videos / animations, and perhaps will need to be updated occasionally if they want to add the ability to do something new. And what do you think all the routers with vulnerabilities being discovered run?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

The TV boxes had nice graphical interfaces, ok not touch screen but that is easy to implement.
WRT the routers, they should have had updates, routers are on the net all the time, they need to updated.
Thunderclap
Grafter

I was staggered to see a Windows 98 flag appear on an ATM machine display. I had always thought they use some high tech custom firware that's unhackable because it's got some freakish black box technology? I then observe an ATM contains a full size ATX PC....
Cool Linux Mint for ATMs?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: Thunderclap
Cool Linux Mint for ATMs?

Nah, more likely Ubuntu for ATM  Grin They have embraced the touchscreen/mobile area.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Around 2000'ish they used a lot of OS/2 terminals as ATM's.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."