cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APC UPS 3000VA

seanbranagh
Grafter

APC UPS 3000VA

I just got one of these second hand with brand new batteries. The runtime is fantastic but I have a problem or at least I think I might have.
When I simulate a power failure and allow the UPS to run until the batteries are flat and then restore AC power should the UPS send power straight to the backed up devices or does it charge the batteries for sometime before restoring outlet power? That is what it appears to do. After letting it run flat I restored power and it did start charging the batteries but after 20 minutes it still had not automatically restored power to the backed up devices. Should it do this?
I do have a warrenty on it if it is faulty.
5 REPLIES 5
Not applicable

Re: APC UPS 3000VA

TBH it depends completely on what you have configured it to do!
Is it a model with a network interface, or does it just have the serial port?
If its only the serial port, I believe you need to install some software to get at the configuration interface, then you can set various options.
(It should be on the disk with the software you installed on your machines that the UPS sends shutdown commands to.)
You can configure lots of stuff, such as how much power should remain before the shutdown signal is sent, what to do on power restore (charge to nn% then restore power to devices or restore power straight away) How often to test batteries/runtime etc. Which devices to shut down, whether to send a signal to other UPS' to shut down.
Some options might not be available, depending upon the model you have - some also have extra options; environmental monitoring (temp/humidity etc) some also have inputs/outputs to perform actions when x happens - eg could be wired to smoke detectors, shutting down servers if fire alarm is sounded etc.
Or just for loggin how often the server rack door is opened.
Lots of options, but you need to get into the interface to have a play.
IIRC the default username/password is apc/apc if you manage to get to the prompts.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You should be able to get up to date software for it from the APC website.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

We use the APC Powerchute software.
It also provides a graphic of line voltage over a 24hr period for the nerds amongst us. Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anteaus
Grafter

Quote from: seanbranagh
When I simulate a power failure and allow the UPS to run until the batteries are flat and then restore AC power should the UPS send power straight to the backed up devices

No. That is normal behaviour. Once run flat it stays off, as there may be further power interruptions.
If you want to have auto shutdown on 2000/XP, you don't need special software. A USB connection will likely work straightaway, and behaves the same as do laptop battery controls. A serial link requires the UPS service set to automatic, and the correct UPS type selected in ControlPanel>Power.
mcgurka
Grafter

Again, it depends on the configuration.
I have one of thier Symmetra units in a half rack, and its setup as the following...
After power fail - Shutdown in 5 min (incase of temporary interruption, I mainly use this for switchover to genset)
Once the last server has completed shutdown, the UPS cuts power the all outputs (you will know this has happened as the overload and undervolt, batt fail and power ok, low battery and overvolt will light in sequence)
Once power is restored wait 2 mins for a clean stable power signal (now my UPS, and I believe almost all APC ups's will not switch back on, until their batteries have sufficent charge to run through another failure although you can ask it to do this)
Ups restores power, servers kick back in.
Scott