cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ Router or modem+router....

David_W
Rising Star

ADSL2+ Router or modem+router....

After much googling I'm still as lost as I was before I started googling.  I've been looking at openwrt which seems to add a whole host of functionality to a router, and can work on a DG834G(T) although apparently the ADSL side won't work, but then you can get a DG834GT and stick on DG Team's firmware, but I don't know if that firmware offers the same functionality as openwrt does.
That leaves me the option of getting a 2700HGV and using it purely as a modem (it's a favourite on these forums, even though I have a very stable line and would get 8Mb if I turned interleaving off) connecting it to a Linksys router which is flashed with openwrt and does the routery stuff, as well as adding things like IPV6 (I know PN doesn't support IPV6 though, yet), QOS, UPnP, the downside of that is requiring a 2700HGV and a Linksys, so that's 2 plugs and 2 points where things can go wrong, but I've been unable to find an ADSL2 router (future proofing for 2011) that can accept openwrt.
The other option is getting a DG834GT (or an 846G v4 which uses Broadcom and not Arm7 apparently) and flashing it with DG Teams.  At the moment I'm using a 2Wire 1800 thingy, and if I try to download something, anything, the line gets saturated and I can't use the internet for anything, DNS lookups fail, so I'm hoping adding QOS would sort that lot out.
So, can anyone help sort my thoughts out?  Would a DG834 with DG Team offer the same functionality as openwrt, would the modem+router option be a better option to get lots of stuff that I'd probably never use, would I be better of getting a router which already has QOS, is there an ADSL2 router which works with openwrt?
4 REPLIES 4
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: ADSL2+ Router or modem+router....

DGTeam doesn't add much on the router front vs standard Netgear firmware, so what exactly are you after?
David_W
Rising Star

Well, that's a really good question.  At the moment I have my PS3 plugged directly into my router, and via powerline adapters my PC is plugged into the router (the netgear couldn't handle that), I also have a Wii which uses Wi-Fi and my laptop, also Wi-Fi, then I have my DS which also uses Wi-Fi but can't handle WPA2 and my PSP, also Wi-Fi.  Now if I'm downloading a game over Steam on my PC, my internet is basically dead, I can't use it on my PC or laptop/ps3/anything so QOS is a must have feature.
BT are switching everything over to 21CN which is IPV6 so I'll assume sometime eventually PN are going to start supporting IPV6 although you can use a tunnel broker to get IPV6 if you really want it, and uTorrent also supports IPV6, so to future proof the modem/router, IPV6 is also a must have feature.
I'm on ADSL, but in 2011 (March...) I'm due to switch over to ADSL2+, I'm near enough to the exchange that I'll get around 14Mb or so, maybe more (hopefully) so ADSL2 support is a must (Netgear does support that, but again the powerline adapter tripped it up).
UPnP is also a must, if the device has USB ports, openwrt can enable printer sharing and the like over devices connected to the routers USB ports.
To get a router which gives you all the bits and bobs openwrt would give would cost a rather large fortune, but its basically sticking Linux onto a router and allowing the power of Linux to shine through, you could consider it a really geeky thing to play with.  I want a router that won't fall over within the next 2 years, if I have a good one that can stay up and running for months on end without needing a reboot, thats a bonus, with good quality hardware so it won't break down.  I can get the Linksys router and openwrt it and the Linksys would treat another modem/router as a plain modem so the Linksys would do all the funny router type stuff.  So basically I want a router that can handle anything I throw at it, it looks like its possible to even set up openwrt for multiple SSID's, so I could set one up just for the DS with a lower security key whilst the PSP/Wii/Laptop all use WPA2.
What I'd *really* like, is to be able to just use a DG834GT and stick openwrt on it, but as I said, it doesn't look like they can get the ADSL drivers to work on it.  I wonder if the DG Team drivers would work on openwrt Shocked
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Sounds like you need a decent modem and a separate router.
As you say a suitable Linksys with WRT is a good flexible router combination.
I'd just get whatever works well as a modem on your line and change it if necessary.
A cheap (ex-Sky) DG834GT with DGTeam can easily be put into modem-only mode and is definitely ADSL2+ capable.
(mine works very well on ADSL2+ - stable 20.5mbps on a 21.5dB line.)
David_W
Rising Star

I am really tempted to go for the 834GT and the geek in me is telling me to stick openwrt on it and get the ADSL working (it's Linux after all!), worst case scenario, I brick the netgear, but on the bright side I have to install Linux on my PC.
-edit-
I took the plunge and installed openwrt onto an old 834v2.  First attempt resulted in me having to install XP on my laptop to use Netgears recovery tool to fix my router.  Second attempt I used a different .config file and it booted up perfectly!  The only issue being no browser based interface, everything done from the command prompt, and with no internet access, no ability to google anything to figure out how to get internet access!
Eventually I managed to get it hooked up to the internet and installed x-wrt, a web based interface.  The next problem I faced was although through ssh on the router I could ping google, my PC wouldn't connect to the internet, so although my Netgear was, I wasn't, still working on that!
For now I've plugged in my Netgear to my powerline adapter (which is connected to my 1800) and it seems to have automatically done something because my PC is connected via my Netgear to my 1800 to the internet, but I can't access my Netgear via either web interface or ssh, lots of head scratching ahoy.  It also doesn't have "advanced" options, things like changing SNR etc, but I guess thats to be expected considering it really is designed for routers and not ADSL modems.
All in all, a thumbs up, now to figure out how to make the ADSL light stop flashing orange and turn green, and get internet working on more than just the router.....
--final edit.
Looks like the wireless driver for the dg834g will not act as a host, only a client, so not very useful if I want to connect wireless devices to the internet, but pretty good if I wanted the netgear to connect to a wireless router I suppose.  All in all, openwrt is a wonderful project but I may just save up and get a cisco 877w, and a book on cisco 877w's, and another terry pratchett book to read whilst I'm pretending to read and understand the cisco book.  If it's taught me anything though, its that I really need to learn more about Linux as a whole, so time to get OpenSuSE on my computer, I have kubuntu on it at the moment, but I don't like it, prefer SuSE.