Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL2+ Modem/Router with Gigabit ethernet ports

dvvrue95
Grafter

ADSL2+ Modem/Router with Gigabit ethernet ports

Hi there,
having discovered I am now living out in non-fibre hinterland (although serving cabinet is fibre enabled  Smiley ) with Xmas a coming I decided to look at setting up a "MyCloud" home drive.
I currently use a Netgear N300 DGN2200v3 modem/router which works well enough over my 6.7km telephone line, however this unit does not have gigabit ethernet ports.
Since I am only looking for the high speed ethernet ports for MyCloud setup i.e. not expecting any great boost in line speed etc.  I understand that the MyCloud drive is intended to connect via Gigabit ethernet.
Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement for my trusty DGN2200v3?
many thanks,
Ian 
6 REPLIES 6
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: ADSL2+ Modem/Router with Gigabit ethernet ports

if you like the n300 why not take a step up to the n600

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/dsl-modems-routers/dgnd3700.aspx
or the n750
http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/dsl-modems-routers/dgnd4000.aspx
both of which I understand are basically t he same with slightly faster wifi speeds and gbit Ethernet with the plus point they both have an ewan port should you get fibre in the future or you could go totally over the top and get one of the ac standard routers they do http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/dsl-modems-routers/
I mean why change to a different router if you like the netgear and it works perhaps get a network switch instead and then the cloud will think its plugged into a gbit circuit when the switch is doing the matching for it and probably cheaper than a new router /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
dvvrue95
Grafter

Thanks for yr. response nanotm,
I like your idea of using a gigabit switch with the existing router.
However since I am looking at using a three tablets (wifi access) and a TV linked to a Humax Freeview receiver via powerline extender with my proposed MyCloud drive perhaps the critical factors are the processor speed, ethernet port speed and wifi speed of the router?
I appreciate that the tablet wifi standards and the powerline speed may also be limiting factors.
cheers
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

sure they might all be factors in the level of service your getting, but bear in mind your upstream rate is under 20mbps on adsl, your routers saturation rate is somewhere around 200mbps (the point at which the router slows down network and internet packet transfer) assuming it uses dual channel switching between wired /wifi then your getting 100mbps on each side which is then split between each device, giving each one  a maximum data throughput capacity of 100/3 (or 33.33 mbps) your wired ports are getting 100/4 in terms of bandwidth
unless your planning on buying something like the nighthawk your data transfer speeds across the internal network aren't going to be that good anyway, and it would be complete overkill even on an 80/20 fibre connection
the main question to ask yourself is why get something better than 54mbps wifi speeds if your upstream connection is under half that speed and in realistic terms your not going to get any benefit from it
and all this on top of the fact the mycloud  should have a multi speed connector (10/100/1000) and most likely limits itself to running at no more than 10mbit speeds given that the write speed of the drive isn't that fast /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: dvvrue95
I understand that the MyCloud drive is intended to connect via Gigabit ethernet.

The MyCloud drive has a Gigabit ethernet port but it will connect just fine to a 100Mbit port on a router or switch - to quote from the user manual: "(Gigabit is recommended to maximize performance.)", this simply means that you will get faster access from other devices also connected to the local network which also have Gigabit ethernet if they are all connected via a Gigabit router or switch.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
CL01
Grafter

I use a TP-Link W8980 N600 router. Works with both ADSL2+ and Fiber (w/ openreach modem) and its like 50 quid on amazon. Link
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

I use Linksys WAG320N.  This does pretty much everything I need except SNMP.    Modfs custom firmware gives it configurable noise margin target and some other tweaks.  Supported by Router Stats Lite (just tell RSL it's a WAG160).