Fixes: 2

Re: ADSL and phone wiring.

Quote from: penfold
only openreach can get these boxes

I've seen them on eBay - could be fake of course.  Shocked
seanbranagh
Grafter

There has not been a BT engineer in my house for 20 years or more. Even if there was I don't think the actual engineer would care less so long as he/she was getting paid. I know that is the way it worked when I was a Sky tv engineer/installer a few years ago.
HPsauce
Pro

It would probably depend how they are paid, they could be "incentivised" to find and do "extras" to help the BT profits along.  Roll_eyes
Also, I'm sure I heard somewhere that they have a record of what type of master socket you have, or at least whether or not they've installed an NTE5A.
itsme
Grafter

First thing I did when my line was installed 20 years ago was to move it. It was at the time when BT changed from the old master sockets which you were not allowed to do DIY extensions to the NTE boxes which you are allowed to do DIY extensions.
As I was renovating the house I installed telephone points in a several rooms and left the end of the cables under the floor boards where the master sockeck would be fitted in the hall. The day BT came to do their work I went around the house and place objects in front of the extensions so he could not see them. I was expecting the small master socket to be fitted so was not happy when the NTE box was fitted on the hall skirting board. When I queried the size he then explained that with these you can do DIY extensions. So as soon as he was gone the drill came out to make a hole in the outside wall so that I could re-run the external cable under the floorboards in the master bedroom to use the extension socket that I had chase in the wall. So this extension was coverted to be the master.
HPsauce
Pro

I used to have loads of phone sockets round my house (I can remember the locations of at least 10), but with the advent of cordless and later DECT phones they fell into disuse. We inherited 3 initially (with 2 handsets and those wonderful old GPO plugs) but when we were upgraded to NTE5 (mainly to save paying rental on the handsets) I added lots of "proper" extension cabling and sockets at convenient locations though obviously not all in use simultaneously.
(Still got an old ivory "dial" phone and a trimphone, both converted properly to work with modern sockets and bell wiring, but "resting")
The arrival of broadband made me simplify things significantly and with ADSL2+ it's now almost all totally ripped out, though the odd faceplate is still there (disconnected) until redecoration.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I have ordered an ADSL plate to plug into the new master socket (which is not in yet.) From there I have installed Cat5e to carry an unfiltered output direct to the routers filtered faceplate and also carry a filtered output to the connection block in the attic for the other sockets, 2 of which will be removed. By doing this the ADSL signal will only go to the socket for the router.
I done a small test using the Cat5e direct from the incomming line to the routers filtered faceplate. I was pleased with the results. They are shown below with the original results at the top.
I have reconnected the other sockets in the original config until the bits and pieces arrive in the post so Sky do not cry at me when their boxes do not phone home.
As the sync rate will stay well over 2848Kpbs continously I will gain 0.5Meg, from 2000Kbps to 2500Kbps with Plus Net.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You only need one filter (at the master socket).
Cat5 has 4 pairs - you only need one pair for ADSL - you could use another pair for a unfiltered phone.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

seanbranagh
Grafter

Exactly what I have done. Cat 5e runs to the attic from the new master socket. One pair carries the unfiltered signal direct to the socket for the router and another pair carries the filtered signal which is then split for the other phone sockets. Excuse the old cable in the picture. I have not removed this yet. It used to run to the master socket when there was originally a blanking plate where the master socket now is.