cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL and phone wiring.

seanbranagh
Grafter

ADSL and phone wiring.

I could never quite understand how I get such a good ADSL signal in my house due to the fact that I live 5 miles from the exchange and the way I have the internal phone sockets wired. I have a total of 6 sockets in use, 2 sky+ boxes, cordless phones and such. All of the sockets are conected in my attic with a block connector and have just been added by me as I have needed them. All 6 have their own filter or filter built into the faceplate. I read somewhere that it is better to have one filter blocking the ADSL signal to all sockets that don't need it. That would be easy for me to do in the attic and remove all of the other filters. Would this make a difference? I currently get about 3000Kbps sync which I think is good under the circumstances but would be nice to get a little extra if possible.
22 REPLIES 22
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: ADSL and phone wiring.

It would normally improve things quite a lot to do what you describe, but post some detailed stats from your router so we can see the potential
seanbranagh
Grafter

Yes, back using the Netgear. The Cisco was more effort than it was worth. Will play with it again sometime.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Next question. I have one of the old BT master sockets from about 30 years ago. It is not even at the point where the line enters the house. How much would BT charge to put a new master socket where the line comes in? There is a box on the wall there currently with a blanking plate on it and the wires running to the master socket. I know I could fit one myself in seconds but that would of course be illegal!
HPsauce
Pro

Not illegal if you do it like this: http://clarity.it/telecoms/nte5.htm
Anyway, where are those router stats?  Wink
seanbranagh
Grafter

Router stats pictured in above post. Really want rid of the old master socket completely along with all the wiring clipped (and painted) around the doors and skirting.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I currently get about 3000Kbps sync which I think is good under the circumstances but would be nice to get a little extra if possible.

That is pretty good for a 56db attenuation. However those attenuation figures look a bit strange , you would normally expect close to a 2:1 ratio downstream:upstream.
Yours are closer to 4:1, Something a bit odd there I think...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

seanbranagh
Grafter

Never had any problems with the ADSL. Has always been 100% reliable. I have noticed that the Netgear router connects about 500Kbps faster than any other router I have ever tried including a Cisco 837 recently. Something odd, could that be my internal wiring?
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Sean
Router stats pictured in above post

Sorry, missed those, thought it was part of your signature!  Cheesy
As said already, they're actually not too bad but look a little "odd". Unlikely to be much improvement unless the extra wiring is increasing the attenuation.
You'll never know until you try.... Cheesy
seanbranagh
Grafter

I read somewhere but cannot remember where that signal is lost by allowing it to run to lots of different sockets instead of filtering all in one go apart from the extension with the router on obviously. Will contact BT about getting a new master sometime and take it from there. Nothing to loose.
HPsauce
Pro

Do it yourself legally for a fraction of the cost.  Wink
seanbranagh
Grafter

I could but there is a section of wiring inside the house before the master socket that I want rid off. Where the line comes in there is just a connector block covered by a blanking plate which then runs to the master socket in the next room. I want the master socket moved to where the line comes in. From there I can run direct to the attic for the filter and extensions. I do not even need a socket where the master currently is so want it removed completely from that room. I have no idea why it was put there in the first place. My neighbours house which is the same as mine has a new style master socket where the line comes in.
HPsauce
Pro

If you moved the master (not that I'm recommending that) and did a tidy job, how would any visiting BT engineer be any the wiser?  Wink
seanbranagh
Grafter

I am not going to say on a public forum that I would do such a thing but I will be considering all options. Grin Would be difficult not to do a tidy job as the socket would just need screwed on in place of the existing blanking plate where the line comes in.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I think the only way BT would know, if they ever checked, was that there would be no official BT logo on the box.  If I recall only openreach can get these boxes with the openreach logo on them.