Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL, Wireless Router & printer

Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

ADSL, Wireless Router & printer

Maybe a daft question - I think I understand this technology, but I have a nagging doubt I misunderstand a couple of things !!.
I'm planning to put in broadband in a small office.
Currently the laptop computer is connected to the large printer/photocopier on the Ethernet port.
I'm planning to use a Netgear DG834PN wireless router that has 4 wired ethernet ports.
Can I connect the printer/copier to one of these Ethernet ports - and use the wireless connection from laptop to router - not just to connect to the internet, but also route data to and from the printer/copier.
Can I configure the router to allow the printer to communicate with computers on the the wireless links, but block it from access and being seen from the ADSL link to the internet.
thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4
samuria
Grafter

Re: ADSL, Wireless Router & printer

You dont giive us all the details. But in simple terms if the printer has a network card in it you need to set the ip on the printer to the range of the router. It can then be seen on the network by all pc's and you can all print to it. It wont be seen from the internet its safe.
There may be some software needed for the printer so it can be used from each pc this would be installed on each pc. Normally it wont require software but some do use a Unix port for printing.
Mal08
Rising Star

Thanks samuria,
Yes the printer ( it's actually a large photocopier (with print and scan functions ) and yes it does have a built in network port as standard, but with a parallel port and usb port as options - which we don't have. It currently has been set up with a fixed IP address - but that can be changed vis the admin setup system.
Yes the current laptop - has the printer drivers unnstalled and set up - and the few others who will use their laptops will obviously have the same installed.
Thanks again
Njal
Grafter

We've tried something similar using a Nashua DSm615 photocopier as a network printer. It seemed to hang-up the computer that you were trying to print from for a few seconds (long enough to be annoying!) every time you hit the 'print' button .
This may be something peculiar to our set-up, but we've now reverted to a USB connection.
Regards,
Neil
Mal08
Rising Star

I bought and set up the router today, and suprised myself in setting up the secure wireless side of the router, and setting up the printer with a fixed IP address in the pool of addresses provided by the router. A quick config change in the printer driver - and bingo - all working.
All I need now is the ADSL  Wink
Thanks again for advice.