Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Router with the longest range

Chemicalman
Dabbler

ADSL Router with the longest range

Hi fellow members,
Can any body give me some advice on a new router please.
                  I have a BT Voyager 2110 at the moment, but the wireless range is not that good. I have my  tabletop computer downstairs, and would like the signal to reach upstairs to my bedroom so i can update the firmware on my Sony PS3. I have recently bought a laptop that just manages to to hang on to the signal in my bedroom but it is not that strong.
                The distance from my tabletop computer, to my bedroom is approx 80ft . I know i could go down the path of buying home plugs but i thought a new router could solve my problem. Thanks for any help. Sad
8 REPLIES 8
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: ADSL Router with the longest range

Get a high-gain antennae yo replace the little stick aerial on your router/PC.
Routers don't vary much in output power.
Alternatively you should move your PS3 before updating - a failure halfway through a firmware update is seriously bad news!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Even if you got a router with a bigger range then your PS3 / laptops signal going back might not be as strong so you could still have problems.
If you just want to update the firmware on your PS3 you can download it onto a memory card and update it that way.
If you want to do on-line gaming wireless can suck big time so you might be better off looking at getting power line adapters or running some long flat ethernet cable (which is what I have done)
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Try looking at the Netgear Extended range http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_modem_router_dg834pn.php
they describe it :

6 internal antennas continually survey the environment to optimise coverage
Eliminates Dead-spots using Smart MIMO* technology
Maximises coverage by auto-adapting to avoid interference & physical barriers
Improves range & speed of existing wireless devices

? ?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

No really no!!! I have that router, 834PN (now collecting dust as a back up), and using the ps3 wireless controllers (or just about any bluetooth device) knocks out the wireless signal.
I have a BT 2Wire 2700HGV now which you can flash with a different firmware (if you're feeling brave) to boost the power of the wireless signal. Can be picked up on ebay pretty cheap.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Chemicalman
Dabbler

Thanks for every ones comments,

Most helpful, i think i may try to download the firmware on to a flash card as i dont play games on the net.
I will let you know how i get on thanks so much. Smiley
chickendippers
Grafter

You could see about buying a Wireless n router; they have a greater signal strength than "normal" wireless g routers. I've got this one and it seems to do the job: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132751
imroberts
Grafter

Bear in mind that in most cases you will only benefit from a Wireless-N router if you also buy Wireless-N adapters. I bought one myself and found it didn't make a blind bit of difference using standard adapters that were only compatible upto Wireless-G.
Another solution that may be worth looking at is something along these lines:
http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/produkte/dLAN/dlanwirelessext.html
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Also bear in mind that Wireless N is still only a preliminary standard and one make dosnt necessarily link to another