cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Router for use in ROI.

seanbranagh
Grafter

ADSL Router for use in ROI.

I am 99% sure about this but just want to double check. My brother lives in the Republic of Ireland and finally at last Eircom are telling him he can get ADSL brodband (I will believe it when I see it!). Aside from the rj11 telephone socket (which will be taken care of by the filters supplied with his modem) is there any reason why a standard ADSL wireless router bought in the UK would not work for him?
I am driving down for Christmas and want to buy him my router of choice (Netgear DG834G).
15 REPLIES 15
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: ADSL Router for use in ROI.

I don't think so having had a read of this http://www.jeacle.ie/pub/articles/adsl/
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
seanbranagh
Grafter

Just took a quick look at that. Not much made sense but it does talk about PPOE and ATM which  looks familar with any router I have set up here.
Just checked my own Netgear DG834 (I have a seperate access point) and it gives a list of countries to choose from in the setup wizard including "Other".
I always asumed that ADSL routers could operate with any flavour of ADSL so long as it was ADSL?
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

My sister in Co Galway recently got broadband. Can't remember the router, but it's a run of the mill type used in the UK.
Settings are:
VPI = 8
Multiplex = LLC
VCI = 35
PPPoE
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Simon_M
Grafter

Eircom uses PPPoE whereas BT in the UK uses PPPoA. BT is the one out of step here, so I would expect any modem/router that offers PPPoA to also offer PPPoE, but it's worth checking.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

There's not much difference between pppoa &pppoe (pppoa is about 0.5% more efficient).
I think all routers will support both - my old Netgear DG834GT does - but it's a different model to the onee you are talking about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-Point_Protocol_over_ATM
Point-to-Point Protocol over Asynchronous Transfer Mode (PPPoA) is specified in RFC 2364. Though PPPoE is used in most of the countries, ADSL in the UK, New Zealand, Belgium, France, Denmark, Italy, Austria (for some providers), Poland and the Netherlands uses PPPoA. In those areas the ADSL modem/router supplied needs to support PPPoA.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

samuria
Grafter

They all work as my mate from over there comes over the the uk and buys rooters of the car boot for a few quid and sells them over there and has never had a problem even with cheap ones
seanbranagh
Grafter

Thanks everyone. Just wanted to be 100% sure as it would have looked bad on Christmas day if my Christmas present and computer skills made a fool out of me.
Will go ahead and pick up a new DG834G at the weekend.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I found it quite funny. I went ahead and bought a Netgear DG834G for my brother and arrived down here yesterday with it. Decided today to set it up for him so I asked him for the modem pack he had received from Eircom as I needed the filters from it (RJ11 telephone sockets). He was waiting for me to arrive and had not attempted to even open the box that had arrived from Eircom. When I opened the box it turned out to be a Wireless router and not a USB modem as I had expected. Looks like I will be taking the DG834G back to PC World then when I get home!
His broadband is now working obviously. Brought my laptop down and connected it to the wireless so I won't go completely mad over the next few days without internet access. Grin
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: Sean
Looks like I will be taking the DG834G back to PC World then when I get home!

Good luck with that - when I was in PC World in Friday I noticed a rather fed-up-sounding A4 print-out taped to their service desk saying they don't accept returns if people have just changed their mind, and that they're under no legal obligation to either. Undecided
seanbranagh
Grafter

As far as I am aware all companies are obliged to offer refunds or exchanges up until a certain date after sale. Otherwise no compamy would do it.
There are some exceptions like software etc for obvious reasons. The router I bought has not even had the plastic removed rom the outside of the box. They will have a hard time trying to refuse that!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

If the product was bought in a store there is no legal obligation to take anything back unless it is faulty, changing your mind is not a valid reason.
If you did it by mail order it comes under the distance selling regulations and you have 7 or 14 days cooling off period when you can return it for a refund if it is in the same condition in which is was sent.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Of course, "A refusal always offends"
If they want any future business from you, they will give you a refund
(or at least a voucher).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

chillypenguin
Grafter

OK at little OT;
PC World offers a `Reserve on-line, Collect in store` service, when you use this service are your good covered by the distance selling regulations?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do you actually pay for them on-line or when you collect them from the store?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)