cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AD Audio Demand on iMac

Anonymous
Not applicable

AD Audio Demand on iMac

I record TV programmes onto different PVR's & TV's, onto USB Sticks.
As well as direct on stand alone PVR's
All the recordings contain, when transmitted, AD dialogue, embedded in the Video recording.
As well as the normal Stereo TV Programme Sound.
When I play back these recording on my iMac, OSX, using my default Media Player, Quicktime 10.3, I hear the AD track superimposed over the Normal Stereo Audio tracks.
After a lot of searching, I cannot find a way for QT to not play the AD Track.
When I play back the recordings on Media Players or TV's, there is no AD (Silenced on some TV's via a menu)
I can find no such setting either on QT or the iMac Sound System

However, there is a solution, which I am not too happy about.
QT 10.3 is so versatile, I use it a lot, for reply of most formats,  for mostly Screen  Recordings, and editing (Top & Tailing) of recorded Video.
I can get round  the AD track on the iMac by using other Media Players, such as MPlayer OSX Extended, or VLC, on both I can select which Audio Tracks to listen to, as I can on a stand alone Media Player I use for most TV programmes replay from USB.
But neither is as good as QT 10.3 for my purposes.
Am I missing something here, is there a way to select which Audio Tracks I can listen to, either in QT menu, or iMac prefs ?
Every Video I have checked today, recorded Off Air has the AD track embedded in the Video.
On any Channel SD or HD recordings.
Does QT in Windows have a facility to select which Audio Tracks to listen to

Below is a selection of Movie Inspector details for various Media Players on my iMac, QT is the only one where I cannot select which audio track to listen to, even though they are shown in the Inspector...
Highlighted is the mono AD track.

11 REPLIES 11
IanSn
Rising Star

Re: AD Audio Demand on iMac

Is that QT Pro?
If it was me I'd be thinking of editing the file in an application to see if its poss to remove the extra track and SaveAs.
Never come across this before
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Not sure why you think qt is better than vlc, for me qt has always been a woeful media player. Vlc outshines it in every way.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: IanSn
Is that QT Pro?
If it was me I'd be thinking of editing the file in an application to see if its poss to remove the extra track and SaveAs.
Never come across this before

It isn't QT Pro.

I mostly use the iMacs as a storage facility, from USB, to iMac, to a compilation USB Drive, with the occasional trimming, as I buffer record before and after transmission times for safety. Trimming to allow more programmes on the compilation USB drive, for watching from my stand alone Media Player.
As I do with any On Demand programmes, usually downloaded using iPlayer HD.
So I rarely actually watch any TV on the iMacs, it's just annoying when checking or trimming to hear the AD.
A lot of my USB TV Recordings are just backup to my main PVR's, so when I've watched the PVR recording, I just erase the USB copy on the iMacs.

Quote from: dvorak
Not sure why you think qt is better than vlc, for me qt has always been a woeful media player. Vlc outshines it in every way.

I find QT does most of what I expect of it, yes VLC does cope with .mts HD files, as recorded on my HD PVR USB drives, and can give a visibly sharper picture than QT, but I dislike the UI.
It is a tool in the toolbox, but for most, non viewing, as above, QT does just fine.
As above, for viewing, I use a stand alone Media Player via HDMI into my 39" TV !
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Well, if the AD is not required then you simply need to remux the video file excluding the extra audio stream. Depending on the file type and the codecs used, you could use Square 5's MPEG Streamclip software to save it away for playback in QT. There are others of course but without knowing the specifics I can't really give you a recommendation.
As an alternative you could try MPlayerX to play the files. It's much like MPlayer OSX Extended but with a different UI and also updated playback compatibility of newer codecs (compared to the default binary included in Extended).
That's RPM to you!!
IanSn
Rising Star

Out of interest was playing with this.
Looks like if you edit something in QT it will only save it in .mov format. (Does that on mine anyway.)
Not sure if this does something to the file that mashes all the tracks together?
RPMozley would know more about all that than me.
EDIT -
ok, looks like I was wrong about that, it will save it in original format...  Roll_eyes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Case in point tonight.
BBC NW News, and Granada News both featured an item about women stealing turf.
In 30 minute programmes, only about 3 minutes was relevant.
I record the local Evening News each day, for catch up later sometimes.
I can view a 30 minute programme in a minute, spooling.
So, using QT, I spooled, viewed interesting items, and trimmed 30 minutes down to 3 minutes, a matter of less than a minutes work.
I often do this with the local Weather forecasts, and occasional other items.
I do like the QT UI.

No AD involved, but I am happy using QT for this purpose.
Makes it easier to locate an item, if it is a stand alone segment.
Once it has served its purpose, it is deleted.

(Having worked for many years for both local organisations, I do like to keep up with what people I know are up to.)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: RPMozley
As an alternative you could try MPlayerX to play the files. It's much like MPlayer OSX Extended but with a different UI and also updated playback compatibility of newer codecs (compared to the default binary included in Extended).

Thanks, downloading now, will try it out tomorrow.
IanSn
Rising Star

Agree. The 'trim' function is neat, and quick.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: PlusComUK
Quote from: RPMozley

Thanks, downloading now, will try it out tomorrow.

Thanks for the link.
It does look promising, AD can be selected, but the default appears to be just the main Stereo Audio
I do like the Video adjustments available.
Just missing a trim option, unless it's hidden somewhere and I haven't found it yet.
I may prefer it to MPlayer OSX Extended once I've played with it a bit more, for straight viewing, and Video Enhancement.

HD .mts        I prefer the Video displayed with MPlayerX compared to VLC, and the UI is better.

Also, again unless I am missing something, it cannot convert / export to a different format ?
QT is very good at that

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

There's no trimming and such, as it's just a simple player. It would be much the same as if you didn't have QT Pro (like me as I'm not made of money and can get the features free from other programs ;)).
That's RPM to you!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've sent feedback to Apple on this matter.
http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html