cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A sad day for me.

artificer
Grafter

Re: A sad day for me.

it's a good opportunity to switch the server to linux.  you already have some experience, and i understand that it's not that hard to set up a server.
business edition pclinuxos may be just the ticket for you as it has all the programs you need on the cd.  the support site is here www.pclosbe.org/.
whatever you use, good luck with the new kit.
seanbranagh
Grafter

You are right and I have thought about that. Basically just before I acepted that the motherboard was going in this machine I was trying linux on the laptop specificly for this server. I am not yet happy to go ahead for a couple reasons. I have not yet got Samba to work exactly the way I want it and I have a Swan Max IP Cam which records onto this server. I have not yet worked my way around getting this particular model of Camera to work with Linux apps although I know it can be done. I am currently working on a couple of websites for which I need this server back up and running as soon as possible. I will continue the change to Linux at at the next opportunity.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Which reminds me. I had better go and get the Apache config file also. It is the only thing on C: that I need to keep.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I have decided on the layout of the disks for the Windows server. Pretty similar to before only the addition of mirrored drives and a new disk "Camera"
200Gb physical disk:
C: "Software" 30Gb (Windows and other software, not shared on network)
😧 "Store 1" 160Gb
S: "Servers" 10Gb (Document root for Apache)
160Gb physical disk:
E: "Store 2" 160Gb
120Gb x2 RAID 1 mirrored physical disks:
F: "Store 3" 120Gb (Read only on network as before, used as third storage place for digital photos etc.)
80Gb physical disk:
G: "Camera" 80Gb (For recording from my IP CAM.)
As before all drives will be mapped on the other machines and as before "Store 3" can only be written to locally (using VNC)
Obviously partition/disk sizes are approximate.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Atticserver was completed and back up and running in the attic a few days ago. Now obviously faster than before as well as more disk space and gigabit ethernet. I wll not see the benifit of this until I get my new desktop (with onboard gigabit) up and running and obviously change my switch. I will be ordering the remaining parts needed at the end of this week.
techguy
Grafter

Geez Sean
You planning on expanding into a data centre soon?  Grin as thats quite a setup you got there
seanbranagh
Grafter

If only I could sneak a fibre from my local BT exchange. I have access to lots of fibre through my job. I also have a hi-vis jacket so noone would ask questions about me digging the roads. Do you think there are secuity guards in the exchange at night?  Grin
cp:quote
techguy
Grafter

I doubt it based on the break ins of late.
Agree with you on the fibre though, if only I could do the same to my local exchange as its better than ADSL.
If only I ;ived near where I work I could maybe persuade them to put a fibre link from work to my house or better still a dedicated leased line to PN's equipment in London.  Grin
seanbranagh
Grafter

We should have all gotten fibre years ago when BT had the money before all the competition started up. I expect we will eventually but I live in a rural area and will not hold my breath!
techguy
Grafter

Its a shame PN were acquired by BT as they were probably the type of ISP that would roll it out (or go into partnership with someone who were doing so) but BT won't roll out until they are compelled to and the government (you and me) agrees to subsidise the rollout.

I know Virgin are supposedly but after being a customer of their mobile division for a while because it was cheap I would not trust them for a service I rely on.
main gripe with BT is that they are just so darn slow when things do go wrong and their customer 'service' when you are a direct customer of theirs is terrible.
PN are much better.

seanbranagh
Grafter

Virgin (NTL) have been in Belfast for years now and are stll only in Belfast so I will not be waiting on them either. The only reason that they have so many custommers in Belfast is because their boxes are vulnerable to illegal activity (wil not say more here) where as Sky have their services well secured. BT are our only realistic hope for fibre I would say at least over here.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I have my shopping list ready to complete my new desktop. I will be placing the order on Friday because it is pay day Grin
With the 4Gb of DDR2 800 and the 2x250Gb SATA drives I already have waiting it should be a nice machine.
I am also really looking forward to gigabit between this and my Windows server (Already put a gigabit card in that).