Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new Mac OSX Malware to be aware of.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A new Mac OSX Malware to be aware of.

Janicab .app

A new piece of digitally signed spyware for Mac OS X uses a special Unicode character in its file name to hide its real file extension from users and trick them into installing it.
Opening the Janicab .app file will trigger a standard Mac OS X pop-up dialog warning the user that the file was downloaded from the Internet.
However, because of the RLO character in the file name, the entire warning text will be written right to left making it confusing and hard to read.
If users agree to open the file, the malware will install itself in a hidden folder in the user's home directory and will open a decoy PDF document containing what appears to be a news article in Russian.
Janicab continuously takes screenshots and records audio and uploads the collected data to command and control (C&C) servers that it finds by parsing the description of specific YouTube videos.
It also queries the C&C servers for commands to execute, the F-Secure researchers said in the blog post.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/security/3457840/new-digitally-signed-mac-malware-confuses-users-wit...
17 REPLIES 17
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: A new Mac OSX Malware to be aware of.

Again the users HAVE to install it, and it is not auto install like M$ virii.
Mac users should be a bit more savy about running strange apps.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

you'd have thought so wouldn't you...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

But then again they have spent £1000's on their shiny mac, maybe they just like the colour? Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You would be surprised - or perhaps not - that many Mac users are totally ignorant about malware etc. and only went for a Mac instead of a Windows PC because they had been convinced by the publicity that it just works out of the box and doesn't get malware.
You should have seen the problem a friend of my better half had who wanted to transfer pictures from her Mac to a USB stick. Eventually she brought the laptop round and I did it for her (it wasn't at all obvious how to do it for a complete noob on a Mac - Me.)
Windows Explorer for all its problems at least makes it easy to do
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

disagree it's very obvious, i found it very intuitive and it does just work out of the box Wink
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Hairy
But then again they have spent £1000's on their shiny mac, maybe they just like the colour? Wink

£999 for my latest iMac !
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: dvorak
disagree it's very obvious, i found it very intuitive and it does just work out of the box Wink
So why did I find it very non intuitive
Answer - I have never ever used a Mac before and all I wanted to do was view the folder and copy the files to a USB stick
Also I never did find out how to copy the jpg pictures across I finished up using the export system which re-encodes them
Anonymous
Not applicable

.jpg to USB, just Drag & Drop, is that what you need to do ?
Most of my USB transfers of images, files, folders etc I Drag & Drop.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The odd thing is that she had already tried doing that by dragging the folder containing the files across but it didn't bring the files with it - it was empty on the USB stick
Apologies for taking this thread off topic - please let it drop as I no longer have any access to the Mac and so couldn't even try again.
By the way - also have problems doing anything on my better half's android tablet which is a problem when she gets stuck
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Fortunately I have used iTunes in the past which put me firmly off anything Apple related.
I used iTunes for an iPhone 3 company phone which sadly just worked.
Malware writers will target anything if there's a profit in it.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Oldjim
The odd thing is that she had already tried doing that by dragging the folder containing the files across but it didn't bring the files with it - it was empty on the USB stick
Apologies for taking this thread off topic - please let it drop as I no longer have any access to the Mac and so couldn't even try again.

One last thought, perhaps the USB stick needed formatting to a Mac format, via disc utility.
If it was formatted to Windows PC NTFS, it is not write-able to from iMac, unless an extra bit of software is used, which I use.
NTFS is extended FAT for Windows USB
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's another Apple mac dodgy trick to be aware of
Apple browsers targeted by simple JavaScript ransom scam
The attack noticed by security firm Malwarebytes is a mixture of sleight of hand and social engineering that the firm reports that it will work against several Mac-based browsers (using an OSX interpreter) with JavaScript enabled.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/security/3458426/apple-browsers-targeted-by-simple-javascript-ransom...
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: PlusComUK
NTFS is extended FAT for Windows USB

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Returning to the OP - why would a Mac use a "file extension" - I thought only Windows considered that the bit after the dot has any particular meaning?
I've never used any Apple fashion accessory, though.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."