cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A little help needed

sixthprawn
Grafter

A little help needed

I have an old bt master socket, 4 wires, orange, white, green and black. Am i right in thinking it would be good to have this replaced, socket and wiring. The socket is about 12 inches inside my house, wire goes straight up to the roof. Is this mine to pay for?  Is bt responsible as its so old?
Thanks for any help Wink
5 REPLIES 5
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: A little help needed

It is a old GPO socket, it is now the property of the British Telecom (BT), you will need BT to replace it with a NTE5 master socket.
The demarcation point between BT & subscribers is after the master socket - i.e. BT supply that socket and subscribers can install their own wiring after that. So step 1 will be to get BT to install that master socket.  Its location should be inside your home and the wiring up to your home is British Telecom's responsibility.  (Though not necessarily at their expense)
[Edit]
Deleted bad info.
[Edit]
You can ring British Telecom on 150 or 0800 800 150 and place the order for the socket to be converted from hardwired to plug and socket.
Hope This Helps
sixthprawn
Grafter

Thanks midnight, i will call them in a mo  Wink
Edit.
"sorry, that is not a BT number, please call your service provider"
hmmmm
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Rather than calling BT you should ring your phone service provider. If you pay line rental to Plusnet then ring them. I would imagine updating the master socket counts as Sales.
David
sixthprawn
Grafter

plusnet just told me to look through yellow pages for an electrician (pref, ex bt). Oh well, stays the way it is for now.
itsme
Grafter

Bad advice. Electricians can only install extensions sockets and wire these into the removable part of the master socket. They can't modify any wiring coming into the house before the master socket.