cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A file cannot get deleted

idlewis
Grafter

A file cannot get deleted

I cannot get a file deleted on the C drive.  It says access denied . I am on XP and IE8 and it keeps highlighting a file that it has an error when I do a registry scan but it does not remove the file which might cause crashes.  Can anyone help?
Thanks
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: A file cannot get deleted

Have you checked the file properties and tried with a full administrator account
If this doesn't help can you advise the file name as it may be a protected system file
What do you mean by a registry scan as that doesn't usually show up a corrupted file except as a faulty link
idlewis
Grafter

The file name is Bonjour that cannot get deleted.  The registry scan is checking to see if any viruses. I don't know what you mean by file properties and administrator support.
hulls
Grafter

I think that file has something to do with Apple - do you have an Apple device linked to your computer?
John
idlewis
Grafter

yes I have.  Do I need to contact them?
Mav
Fixes: 515

If you've established that the file isn't a system file and can really be deleted then try LockHunter.
It seems to work on 99% of cases where Windows fails to delete a file for whatever reason.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

idlewis
Grafter

I tried Lockhunter and it said cannot delete the file.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Open explorer and click on Tools then Folder options then View and then untick Hide extensions for known file types
Once you have done that you will be able to see the full file name if explorer is set to show details
Report back
Oldjim
Resting Legend

hulls
Grafter

I've just had a look at add / remove programs, and Bonjour is on there.  When I clicked on it, it had the option to repair it.  It may be worth a try.
John
idlewis
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Open explorer and click on Tools then Folder options then View and then untick Hide extensions for known file types
Once you have done that you will be able to see the full file name if explorer is set to show details
Report back

That is me unchecked the hide extensions fo known file types.  Do I need to restart the computer?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

No
idlewis
Grafter

Just to let you know that I deleted the Bonjour File.  It was write protected so I unchecked the read only box then reboot the computer and finally deleted the file.
Thanks for everybodys help.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I think Bonjour is used by ITunes  Cheesy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Bonjour is a program by Apple.  If you install iTunes you get Bonjour whether you want it or not.  However, you can uninstall the entire program via (Add/Remove) programs in Control Panel.