cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few reasons why most people don't use Linux.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: A few reasons why most people don't use Linux.

Meanwhile, back in the topic....
Have a look at how to mess with your hopeless wireless and its firmware at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx
Who expects users to install firmware anymore?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

seanbranagh
Grafter

At last my server is back in position in the attic doing what it should be (serving). Running CentOS 4.7. Don't care if it won't power down, being a server it really doesn't need to.
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
Linux was originally developeed for servers wasn't it ...

Not really. It evolved out of an educational UNIX demonstrator called Minix that was developed by Andrew Tannenbaum and some of his students at the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam. Linus Torvalds had studied there and 'forked' Minix, taking it in a new direction as Linux in order to try out some of his own ideas about operating system design. Linux found favour as a server operating system because it originally lacked a desktop environment until some brave soul grasped the nettle and migrated X Windows to Intel architecture computers.
Linux should properly be called GNU/Linux because Linux is just an operating system kernel and would have been useless and would have been nothing more that an educational curiosity without all the other operating system components that were originally supplied from the GNU project. The GNU project, or perhaps that should be GNU movement, pre-dates Linux and exists to promote and create a public domain operating system and other public domain software, that everybody can use, unencumbered by patents, copyrights and licencing restrictions. The Linux kernel appeared on the scene at just the right time to be taken up by and incorporated into the GNU project. Richard Stallman who started the GNU project is a forgotten hero in the Linux story.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Axis
Have a look at how to mess with your hopeless wireless and its firmware at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx
Who expects users to install firmware anymore?

Sums up my situation and illustrates why I'm installing XP.
Incidentally do you say 'Linux' or 'Lynux' as I know people who use both pronunciations.
The correct pronunciation is still in debate.
The pronunciation of "Linux" has been a matter of much debate. Many, including Torvalds, insist on the short I pronunciation /li'nuks/ because "Linus" has an /ee/ sound in Swedish (Linus's family is part of Finland's 6% ethnic-Swedish minority) and Linus considers English short /i/ to be closer to /ee/ than English long /i:/ dipthong. This is consistent with the short I in words like "linen". This doesn't stop others demanding a long I /li:'nuks/ following the english pronunciation of "Linus" and "minus". Others say /li'niks/ following Minix, which Torvalds was working on before Linux.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Strat
Sums up my situation and illustrates why I'm installing XP.

Maybe XP will load this firmware for you.
Personally, I can't be bothered to learn how to say foreign names in their original language Cheesy
Hopefully, my pronunciation of IKEA really irritates them.

seanbranagh
Grafter

Don't forget Lidl, anyone know how to pronunce that one? Wink
Strat
Community Veteran

I blame Jeremy for taking this thread off topic Wink Smiley
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
techguy
Grafter

Yeah so do I, good on him  Smiley
Does annoy me how Americans pronounce Bernard as Berr nard, the UK news has taken to doing it too when talking about Bernard Madoff
Strat
Community Veteran

Watch out there's a Mod hovering and we've done the 'Americans destroyed English' topic to death. Undecided
techguy
Grafter

There's always mods hovering, they're a bit like black helicopters  Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Strat
Community Veteran

You wouldn't argue over a parking spot with that Shocked
techguy
Grafter

Definitely not, unless you had one of these  Smiley
VileReynard
Hero

Or one of these  Cheesy

Strat
Community Veteran

Oh great......let's settle the argument and take out the parking spaces within 20 square miles Cheesy

Oops...just noticed this isn't Chit Chat space Embarrassed