cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few reasons why most people don't use Linux.

seanbranagh
Grafter

A few reasons why most people don't use Linux.

My linux webserver was for a long time running Fedora 7. I decided to change this. I installed Debian 5 and got it all up an running but then had a strange intermittent problem when connecting via ftp over the internet. I had absolutely no answer for this so I then decided I wanted CentOS instead. After using Fedora I was more familliar with Red Hat derivatives.
I tried CentOS 5.2 on my laptop to test and was very happy with how easy I could set up the server. I then went to the actual server only to find that CentOS 5.2 could not find the network card, the raid card or the graphics card although I don't need the graphics card anyway. I know I could make driver disks and do it that way but I wanted to leave some time in my life for other things  Grin
Next option CentOS serverCD 4.7. Had more luck with this as it did find all my hardware. Little more work setting up as I had to add repos to install Proftpd. I then found that it would not power off the computer. Not needed but it still bugs me. I tried adding acpi=off to the kernel line in grub.conf to no effect.
Short term solution, install CentOS 4.7 and live with the fact that it won't power off as it never gets shutdown anyway.
Long term solution, buy some new hardware and run CentOS 5.2
My hardware is quite old now as listed below:
Dual processor pentium 3, 1Ghz  (ECS D6VAA mobo with onboard HTP370 RAID)
768Mb PC133 SDRAM
80Gb HDD
4Gb HDD
2 x 2.1 Gb HDD
42 REPLIES 42
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: A few reasons why most people don't use Linux.

The CentOS screenshots look just like Ubuntu! Cheesy
Seriously, I've got a PC with one 600MHz pentium and only 368MBytes - hardware circa 2001.
It runs Openoffice, Gnome, Wifi networking, a screen and it shuts down when I tell it to.
It doesn't run very fast though Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

seanbranagh
Grafter

Screenshots of the Gnome desktop are going to look the same in any distro. I don't have a desktop anymore on my server.
Ubuntu is based on Debian and I prefer Red hat versions. I am more familiar with the commands and more familiar with yum then apt.
techguy
Grafter

The hardware support (or lack of) is the main reason I've not put in much time on my linux (Ubuntu 8.10) install.
Downloaded shedloads of packages for sound support and still couldn't get drivers to install so got fed up to be honest.
There also doesn't seem to be any sort of documentation explaining components or the architecture so it can be difficult for newbies like myself to get going.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've installed Ubuntu 8.10 on a Wireless enabled laptop complete with hardware failure of Ethernet port.
Therefore the only available network connection is Wi-Fi......or it would be if I could be bothered to wrestle with it. Angry
It's a BCM4306 wireless chip and the procedure to get it working is not really worth the effort. So it's out of the cupboard with the USB to Ethernet adaptor which works fine out of the box.
I seem to recall getting the 4306 working on an earlier release of Ubuntu. Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
alanb
Grafter

One of the basic realities of life with Linux is that until all hardware manufacturers start providing drivers and support software for their products to the creators of Linux distributions, in the same way as they supply them to Microsoft for incorporation into Windows, then Linux will only support a subset of available hardware. The major Linux distributions usually publish detailed lists of known compatible and non-compatible hardware. If you stick to the list of compatible products you'll generally have no major problems. That's not to say Linux won't run on lots of other hardware, it will, and usually without problem, but then you should always anticipate the possibility of having to overcome some hardware/software integration issues. It's all about understanding the scope of the products you're using. If you tried to run Windows on an incompatible hardware (say a computer with a SPARC or ARM processor) you'd run into problems very quickly - on the other hand you might find a viable solution in Linux.
By the way, just to be extra picky, most people do use Linux. Last time I saw some figures, they claimed that just over half of the worlds web-sites (or that might have been servers, I can't remember,) rely on it.  Smiley
seanbranagh
Grafter

Yes. I was refering to use as a desktop operating system. I thought is was way more than half of web servers. And with good reason apart from being free in most cases. Despite the issues I contiously have setting up with Linux I am enjoying it more every day. I know when I have my server set up again it will just run and run for months on end as it did with Fedora. Exactly why I wouldn't consider using Windows except in the short term like now when I am working on the linux server and port 80 is pointed to my Windows server instead.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I have Ubuntu installed on 3 completely different PC's.
I have never had any problems with sound, video or Wireless - not even small ones.
Admittedly, when I bought my wireless router I installed the same brand of wireless PCI card in all PC's. (Netgear WG311T cards).
I've only used one PC on ethernet - but it worked fine.
Even the flat-bed scanner from somebody's skip was just plug and go.
I've had some problems with printers...  Roll_eyes
And one digital camera (a rollei) appears to be impossible. Cry

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

seanbranagh
Grafter

Just found a cool piece of software, phpsysinfo.
http://www.seanbranagh.ie/info
Could get either Linux or windows server with this link over the next day depending on which port 80 is pointed at until the linux server is back into its location in the attic.
I have now included links on the hardware page of my site for this info on both servers.
Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: Axis
I have never had any problems with sound, video or Wireless - not even small ones.
Admittedly, when I bought my wireless router I installed the same brand of wireless PCI card in all PC's. (Netgear WG311T cards).

In my case it's pre-installed / onboard wireless on an older laptop. There are no Linux drivers available and use has to be made of windows drivers and fwcutter? which failed to install.
It has an XP key stuck to it's bottom so that's what it's getting next week.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
seanbranagh
Grafter

If you have a valid license on the bottom of the laptop why not just get a copy using bittorent or something like that and use the license you have?
My own laptop came with XP Home about 4 years ago. The supplied recovery DVD wouldn't let me partition the disk and I didn't want all the bundled software. I just got a copy of XP Home using bittorrent and used the license on the laptop.
EDIT: I did get the onboard wireless on my laptop working one time under Pclos using the Windows driver. Cannot remember what package I used for this. Don't think it was fwcutter though.
techguy
Grafter

Linux was originally developeed for servers wasn't it and yes we have a few Linux servers at work that hardly ever fall over (and indeed the company that hosts my e-mail uses a Linux cluster running Debian) but I think its going to be a while before it becomes a truly Plug and Play OS.
Perhaps Strat does not want to wait 2 years for it to download via bitorrent  Smiley (but I agree that MS  charge way too much for Windows but as most Windows licences are bought by system builders and they have a market monopoly they can pretty much charge what they want)
Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sean
If you have a valid license on the bottom of the laptop why not just get a copy using bittorent or something like that and use the license you have?

Because I have a drawer full of XP CDs at work. That's why it has to wait until next week Smiley
Can't believe I can't find one around the house though Embarrassed
seanbranagh
Grafter

I keep mine safe in a bid cd wallet along with loads of Linux distros that I will never use. I still have Win 95, 98 and Office 97 in there!
techguy
Grafter

Ah, Office 97 (I have 2003 on here, the release in which the annoying Office Assistant last appeared)
"It looks like you're writing a letter"
Really? for a moment there I thought I was writing a novel, thanks for reminding me there.