Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A dumb wireless question

journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

A dumb wireless question

I'm considering connecting a TL-ANT2409A to a RJ45 Ethernet hub. Can somebody suggest what kind of hardware I need?
would a straight SMA to RJ45 connector do it? does such a thing exist?
7 REPLIES 7
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: A dumb wireless question

Short answer.... don`t know....
Observational answer.....  The unit you want to use has a "coax" cable type connector ( probably satellite size)... which indicates only two wires are " ACTIVE" on the cable...
The RJ45 has multiple contacts, so you would need to find out the "active" lines ( hopefully, only two )  and then make up some kind of "rats tail" connector using the appropriate ends on the short joining cable, or, alternatively, cut off the existing coax connector and connect to the "active" lines on the RJ45 plug, you have bought !.
best of luck...
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

As far as I can see you would unscrew the external antenna from your router and screw this device in it's place.
If your router doesn't have a removable external antenna or a suitable BNC connector it could be a problem.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran

See, told you I didn`t know what I was talking about  ! !    Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
journeys
Aspiring Pro

@strat, shutter, thanks guys, your actually more help than you take credit for
Got that far, the router has an unscrewable aerial (well it has now*) of the right type so the "A" end is OK.
"B" end currently has a WN2000rpt which is not quite good enough (couple of trees in the way), fair in winter, no good in summer.
I'd guess I'm looking for a hub/wifi access point with twin aerials or one of these switch the aerial and use the existing wn2000rpt
*Always surprises me what damage can be achieved with a pair of pliers and what can be fixed with superglue, gaffer tape and a soldiering iron
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

How about a chainsaw?  Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

Probably a bit of "overkill" to use a chainsaw to cut an aerial cable connector off  Cheesy
journeys
Aspiring Pro

@foxy:- already considered, nice thought but they are TPO protected.
All because M-I-L wants a wifi signal when she comes to stay, (suppose I could let her stay in the house Cheesy)