Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A couple of Linux Mint 19.1 problems

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

A couple of Linux Mint 19.1 problems

Problem number 1.... when I look at folders full of files... they are always displayed as "icons" ... and I have to change the display to "List"... is there a way to make "List" the default way that files are displayed , no matter what folder they are held in ?

Problem number 2.... The sound volume level on Linux Mint 19.1 is very low... On playing music videos on Windows, the volume slider is generally about 25% ... but to achieve the same level of volume on Linux Mint 19.1,  I need to have the slider up at the maximum .

On Windows, the output is through a Dell sound app,... but I don`t think this is in use when using Linux, is there a way to change that, and use the Dell sound app as default ?

6 REPLIES 6
shutter
Community Veteran

Re: A couple of Linux Mint 19.1 problems

Problem 1 solved.... go to preferences and change the default view !   doh !  Embarrassed

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Problem 2 - Surely if you set the overall Mint sound volume using the Mint icon, then the sound level will be right, whilst if you are booted into Windows then you would set the overall volume in a Windows way.

Have to say that I prefer icons in Mint because:-

1. You can change the colour of selected folder icons,

2. file icons reflect the type of files they represent,

3. You can add emblems as extra decorations to selected files/folders icons.

I'm making the assumption that you are using Cinnamon for your desktop - those features may not be available in other DE's.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard   I think I should start another thread, called "Slow Mods"  !     as , shortly after posting my own solution to problem 1, I contacted the mods asking them to delete the thread, as I had also found a solution to problem 2... and that was to use a half=decent video player... I installed SMPlayer and that seems to have brought back the volume, and also has a pretty good "Equaliser" on it.

I used to use GOM Player on Windows, as that is an excellent player,... but it doesn`t work on Linux, even through WINE>..

What a shame...

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

There's quite a few video players available - including VLC.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter, as @VileReynard suggest using VLC would be a good choice as it is available on Linux and Windows and would provide you with consistency, not just in the way it looks but the way you use it, as you won't have to remember different commands to operate it.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Anonymous  & @VileReynard  Yes, Thank-you for VLC... I have tried it a number of times over the years, but there is "something" about it that I don`t quite like... GOM player seems to be much more "superior"  .... As mentioned SM player is in use on Linux Mint 19.1 now... and it compares very favourably with GOM player... one setting I particularly like, is the "headphones" setting on the equalizer... it really does make a difference in sound quality, compared to using other genre settings e.g. rock . or whatever, when using headphones.