cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Vast Sandbox

penneck
Aspiring Pro

A Vast Sandbox

My wife has recently purchased a new laptop, which, of course, comes with Windows 7. Neither of us have used Win 7 before, so there may be some funnies in it when compared to XP.
We have put onto the laptop Avast anti-virus software. We are used to that.  However, everytime she logs on, Avast recommends that she uses a "sandbox". Apparently, cancelling this once isn't enough. She has to cancel it twice, and then she can carry on as if Avast had never mentioned Sandbox. She did use the sandbox once, but after some time of editing a document, she found she couldn't save her work - so much for using Sandbox.
My question is, "Is there a way to stop this warning from Sandbox coming up, which doesn't involve just not using her new laptop?"
My thanks for any help
3 REPLIES 3
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: A Vast Sandbox

The Avast sandbox is there to protect you from potential nasties,  however,  it does have the potential to get in the way.  Programs in the sandbox cannot save files or other make changes to the environment.
The message that comes up will tell you what application it is wanting to put in the sandbox,  if you trust the program you can change the option on how it runs and allow it to run normally.  You can also select the checkbox to make avast remember your selection.
With it appearing twice when logging in, Avast would appear to be trying sandbox two different programs it doesn't trust.
Another option (which reduces the protection provided) is to turn of the sandbox feature altogether!
Kevin.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Sorry for the delayed response. Been away.
Have found the sandbox control and disabled it. The problem appears to have gone now.
Thankyou for your help
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I've found the sandbox to be a pain. It will popup for some programs and not others yet there appears to be no explanation as to why some programs have unlimited disk access and others get sandboxed. I just let everything run as normal now lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!