Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

64bit wifi card with AP mode?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

64bit wifi card with AP mode?

Hi guys
Anyone know of a 64bit PCI wifi card that can be put into (and left in) AP mode? Will 32bit PCI hardware work in a 64bit slot (I doubt it but thought I'd ask just in case). I'd prefer a card that can be put into AP mode by software and then will boot in AP mode with no software needed to run it. I have two 32bit cards that can do this using a ralink chip but have yet to find a 64bit equivlent.
My wifi router is conking out daily and rather than have the hassle of replacing it I figured it would be easier to go back to my old arrangement of using a PCI card in AP mode for the SO's laptop and the Wii / iplayer.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
18 REPLIES 18
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: 64bit wifi card with AP mode?

Sorry but I completely fail to see why buying a 64-bit PCI card is a more attractive less-hassle option than buying a new router.  Surely you could set-up a new router faster than it would take you to just fit the PCI card?
7up
Community Veteran

Yes / No (not that you've really helped much!).
Yes a router would be easier because its a dedicated device that should do the job.
No because every router we've had in the last 2 years since a line renumber / BT tinkering has either over heated or conked out. No-one at PN or BT take this seriously and now my newest wifi router also does the same - it over heats and the wifi also drops dead on a daily basis causing a lot of frustration to my partner.
Using a PCI card in a windows machine using Internet Connection Sharing with a decent quality wifi card avoids all of that - the system is cooled, the wifi cards are pretty dependable (at least my 32bit cards are - rock solid and can provide wifi all day to the wii / iplayer) and I generally have less worries with it. Add to that the fact that Windows is also a full blown OS that you can not only configure but use custom programs on (EG connection management, dynamic DNS updaters etc) and it's really a bit of a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. I used this setup many times for many months on end with rock solid reliablity. Using routers has been nothing but a pain in the grass for me having gone through 6 of them in 2 years since BT tinkered with our line.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Personally I'd buy a dedicated WAP and turn the router WiFi off.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I know this isn't helping directly but It's hard to imagine what BT could have done that would cause routers to overheat.  They didn't wire your phone line to the mains, did they?  Does the problem go away if you don't connect your router to the phone line?  if it does, you could configure your newest router as a wireless access point and use an older one to connect to broadband.   
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: ReedRichards
if it does, you could configure your newest router as a wireless access point and use an older one to connect to broadband.   

I could if I thought this router could handle it but I honestly don't think it could to be honest. I also don't have an old router (they all over heated and then kept doing so every few mins). No idea what on earth BT did but our line has never been the same since. The most reliable method I have of connecting is via usb modem which weirdly doesn't seem to be affected by the line at all.
The only snag with that is that the usb modem isn't supported by Windows7 (forgot about that) so I'd need to either find another XP machine thats as quiet as my current 7 machine OR run XP in a VM on my 7 machine. One thing I would like to do is a fanless mini itx based system that would serve nicely as a router / wifi AP / web & ftp server in one. The only snag is the cost!
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

If it is of any help I use a Linksys (CISCO) WAP200 Wireless-G Access Point and not the Wifi for the Router supplied by PN. The Linksys seems to be rock solid, plus it has detachable antennae, so if needs be you can add higher gain antenna. All that is needed is to plug a RJ45 patch cord into a switch port.  It is isolated from any electrical junk coming over the BT line.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As a thought 
Have you tried monitoring the incoming voltage on the phone line
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

How about checking the mains voltage?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Is it the rather dubious-quality Plusnet-supplied routers that keep dying?  Anything else should be returnable under warranty.   
7up
Community Veteran

Hi Reed
No its an Edimax AR-7266wna and I've found out that I'm not the only one who has had problems with it. PCWorld will be getting a visit from me shortly!
I really want to go back to my old setup now of using a wifi PCI card in AP mode. So much simpler and reliable too! I have a mini PCI wifi card from an old router stashed somewhere but no convertor to use it with.
Stupid question.. 32bit hardware doesn't work in 64bit motherboards does it?
pnf
Grafter

If you've got a spare PCI slot on your new motherboard just plug the old PCI card into that.  As long as the drivers load there shouldn't be a problem.  When I built my current PC (W7 64bit), I installed my old PCI sound card and PCI TV card in it and they both worked fine.  Both cards had previously been used in a 32bit system running Windows XP.  You might find that Windows provides default drivers for your card but, failing that, check the manufacturers web site as they may provide 64bit drivers and supporting software.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

As best as I can see, http://www.digi.com/pdf/prd_msc_pcitech.pdf , you can run a 32-bit PCI card in a 64-bit slot.  But if you are running a 64-bit OS you need 64-bit drivers.
I still think you bought cars, they broke down so you have concluded cycling is the best way to travel - to use an anology.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: ReedRichards
I still think you bought cars, they broke down so you have concluded cycling is the best way to travel - to use an anology.

I know what you mean however I found that the PCI AP worked far more reliably for me in the past. I never had any trouble with it like I have had with different routers. I've had nothing but hassle with routers whereas the PCI AP was flawless and never let me down. The only downside is that I now need to find myself some quiet hardware as W7 doesn't support usb modems Sad I had plans for a mini-itx based XP router many moons ago, looks like I may be dusting off those plans again soon!
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm totally with RR and refer you back to my suggestion above (WAP).
Your solution seems incredibly over-complex especially when "commodity" solutions are widespread and cheap.  Cry