cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

63GB deleted - Help! [Solved]

Mav
Fixes: 514

63GB deleted - Help! [Solved]

I clicked Cut then selected the folder on a different drive and clicked Paste. Nothing happened except the orginal folder disappeared. I've checked that I didn't accidently move the files eslewhere on the same drive.
Nothing in the Recycle bin.
Oh yeah, not backed up. It's not important stuff but I'd like to get it back if possible.
Not touched the drive the original files were on (it's not the Boot drive) and downloaded Recuver from Piriform and set about searching and rebukding the Folder structures.
It says it has found over 330,000 files of which around 75,000 seem to come from the original deleted folder but I can't be sure as it only offeres a '?' for top-level folder name.
I've checked a huge amount of the files including video and photos and so many (perhaps 80%) seem to be corrupt.
So, is there any other file recovery program out there that may do a better job?
Cheers.
Edit: Forgot to say W7 64bit

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 63GB deleted - Help!

First thing, don't switch your computer or the drives off, the folders may be in virtual memory somewhere..
Try enabling viewing of "Hidden Files" in your file manager.
Look for files with time stamp of when you "lost" your folders.
Did you try to Paste folders back onto original drive ?
63gb would take a while to transfer, perhaps it's doing that in the background ?

I'm an iMac man so cannot really help you...but
I always Copy, Paste then Delete once transferred files & folders, learnt from my Windows days.
Never Cut & Paste.
I usually "Drag & Drop" within OSX, never lost anything, sometimes drop into wrong folder in list view, UNDO sorts that out.
Same with downloading photo's off digital camera, I never delete after downloading from within iMac, I immediately save all as backup copies, "Camera Originals" then delete pics in camera. This I do before any Photoshopping of photo's.
Again another lesson learnt from Windows days, photo's & video's especially, backed up to 1) Time Machine, 2) Carbon Copy Cloner and 3) straight copies to another 3rd external HDD, plus 4) DVD's updated regularly, and 5) USB thumb drives.
Personal Data also emailed encrypted to specific email account, long before Cloud computing was invented.  !!
Mav

Cheers, PlusComUK.
All the above been done anyway.
But, panic over...
It seems that the drive I copied from just diappeared from sight, perhaps a problem with it's power supply or the USB cable. As I hadn't actually taken notice of the drive letter or name (I had just added some larger drives and was moving stuff around), I just assumed the copy/paste went wrong as I hadn't noticed the missing drive.
Ok, my mistake was doing all this at 4am when I was already tired. Embarrassed
Now I feel kinda foolish - but that's not the first time and probably not the last  Roll_eyes
Over the last few minutes the drive icon has come and gone several times. It's externally connected with it's own power supply to a USB PCI card. Could be a card issue although the remaining three connected on the same card aren't showing the same problems.
Edit: BTW the only issue I have with Copy/Past/Delete is that if you chosoe a large number of files and leave it while you go off to do something else and there is a problem causing Windows to crash and the copy to halt the you don't always have a clear indication of which files were already copied and, to ensure I haven't missed any, I have started the whole process again.
This could be solved by doing a few (one or two folders at a time) but when you need to do other things it isn't always practical.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 63GB deleted - Help! [Solved]

OK, glad you've sorted it.
Now get backing up !!!
Mav

TBH it's not stuff I particularly want or need backing up. I can afford to lose it - it was just that if it had gone and I could get it back then I would do what I could to try.
Important stuff it always backed up on another drive within the PC.
Only joking. It's actually online, on DVDs and seperate HDDs.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Mav
Over the last few minutes the drive icon has come and gone several times. It's externally connected with it's own power supply to a USB PCI card. Could be a card issue although the remaining three connected on the same card aren't showing the same problems.

I've had problems with an external drive hooked up to a usb PCI card too. Similar symptoms so switched usb sockets. Started happening again so plugged into front of computer and it stopped happening.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
artificer
Grafter

one thing i learned early on in windows was to NEVER cut and paste, always copy and paste.  one the  one occasion i did use cut and paste (before i learned) windows merrily chucked my files into the ether, never to be seen again.
i use pclinuxos these days and i still copy/paste rather than cut/paste.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: artificer
one thing i learned early on in windows was to NEVER cut and paste, always copy and paste.  one the  one occasion i did use cut and paste (before i learned) windows merrily chucked my files into the ether, never to be seen again.

Ditto.. I've also done the cut and paste and suffered for it in my early days. Its as if the windows monstor is pre-programmed to loose it for you.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!